Greatest of All Time’ victory, ‘Jeopardy!’ host Alex Trebek to release memoir just before his 80th birthday, ‘Jeopardy!’ host Alex Trebek opens up about ‘great depression’ after cancer diagnosis, faith in God, Count on busier and easier online shopping this holiday season, Disneyland may have to wait until 2021 to reopen, official says, Jeff Bridges says he has been diagnosed with lymphoma, There’s a new special look at ‘The Mandalorian,’ and it’s full of Baby Yoda, Disneyland reopening guidelines could come Tuesday, officials say, Amendment G would expand uses of income tax for programs for kids, disabled, ‘Coffin dodger,’ ‘boomer remover’ — ageism has flared during the pandemic, A Texas woman died from COVID-19 on a flight. Within just a couple of months of going public about his cancer, Trebek was informed by doctors that his prospects actually looked bright. The host turns 80 on July 22, and has a memoir hitting shelves on July 21. You inspire people to be kinder, more hopeful.”, Another well-wisher posted, “I admire Alex for being real each step in his journey. He was upset that it wasn’t fair.”. Well, Trebek was undergoing the same form of experimental immunotherapy that had helped Senator Harry Reid seemingly fight off his own pancreatic cancer. He told host Robin Roberts, herself a survivor of cancer, “People all over America have been sharing their good thoughts, their advice, their prayers, and I feel it is making a difference in my well-being.”, Trebek spoke candidly about his battle, telling Roberts, “My oncologist tells me I’m doing well, even though I don’t always feel it. He said, “I definitely did not expect everyone to pick up on it on social media. The host went on to offer an apology for the misunderstanding, adding, “I want everyone to know that I am optimistic about my current plan, and thank them for their concerns.” And fans were able to see Trebek’s good spirits for themselves when he appeared on Good Morning America to give another update. Since 2015, “I’m doing well. In a video message to the public, the host announced that he had been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer of the pancreas – a very serious affliction indeed. Instead, he simply offered fans “a series of quick look-ins” that touched upon both his private and professional lives. DeGeneres told Gaur, “I don’t know how you’re going to be watching along at home, because you don’t own a television. He was asked if he is afraid of dying. There is an end to all. Now I know why I like him.’”, And in a video update posted to the official Jeopardy! Final Answer: #AlexTrebek.”, Then in April 2019, after completing season 35 of the show, Trebek updated his fans and supporters on how he was doing. Perhaps this positive energy explains why Trebek was able to beat the odds and reach the one-year survival mark in March 2020. This was a subject he also reflected upon in his Texarkana Gazette interview, opining, “A year and a half ago, I’m suddenly diagnosed with one of the worst kinds of cancer, and I’ve been dealing with it ever since. show I ever hosted, mustache and all," he said. Copyright © 2020 Deseret News Publishing Company. [But] then all of a sudden, it blew up and went 50 percent higher than when it was first diagnosed. I felt really good about that.”, In his chat with the Texarkana Gazette, Trebek was similarly quick to admit that he’s not the most tabloid-friendly TV personality. "Jeopardy!" despite the cancer. And a few months later, Trebek updated his fans with yet more encouraging news. He wrote, “I want people to know a little more about the person they have been cheering on for the past year.”. Go figure.”, In the interview, the 79-year-old Trebek revealed, “I’m not afraid of dying. Yet there’s one Jeopardy! So when I got up there, obviously I wasn’t going to win the game or anything, so I was like, ‘I could try to figure out the right answer, or I could do something for this person who might need it right now.’”, DeGeneres brought up that Gaur had actually been on Jeopardy! had actually been recorded in September, he explained, and Trebek had just been told that he would have to undergo more chemotherapy to hold back the cancer.