Stagger them slightly if you can… The center of the stud provides the greatest anchor strength for the eyebolts from which the hammock hangs. I have not, because I did a bit of study of the studs in question before I put my hammock up. [**New to hammocks? Ya, that would keep me up too - my problem here is that this apartment has an odd design so I'm limited in the number of places that make sense - ended up putting one beside a window (where there are presumably double studs) and one in a regular stud, By the way, just a thought, are you sure it's the stud/eyebolt creaking and not the sound of, say, whatever is attaching the eyebolt to the hammock? One the hardware is installed, hang … © Copyright 2020 Hearst Communications, Inc. You can hang a hammock in a smaller room than normally required by allowing the hammock to sag in the middle. Hammocks strung in your favorite spot in front of a window or entertainment system give hours of relaxation. These two-part hammock hooks consist of a screw and a hook connected by two closed loops and can be used in any solid wall or beam. Just make sure they're not metal studs. I had a diy hammock fall apart with me in it. People have. One common workaround is to attach a 2x4 to several studs … Then you can find the studs closest to that location and mount the eyelets to the studs and hang your hammock. Do not allow more than one person at a time to lie in the hammock. Note that the hanging kit from ENO is designed for use with strong wooden structures, like the wooden studs in a home wall. Use an electronic stud finder to locate studs in each wall that are directly across from each other and are approximately the distance required to hang your hammock. No suspension required. Use a stud finder to be absolutely sure. The method of connecting the stud to the top and bottom of the wall is fine for vertical force, or for attaching sheetrock, but it was never intended to support horizontal force pulling the stud away from the wall. If you are installing into a typical wall or ceiling, you must first find the studs, either by tapping or using a stud finder. Screw it into the hole by hand until it becomes difficult, and then grip it with an adjustable wrench to screw it in until the eye of the bolt lies against the wall. Wall studs are easily found on corners or around window frames, but using a stud finder or using the nail method are good ways to make sure you are drilling or installing in the right place. Install the Hooks. Never install the hanging kit into trees, as it can … I almost feel as if it might be all plaster and lath on bricks. Did the lag screw pull out or did you actually serious damage the wall? Just make sure you're on a verticle stud, as they usually run the full length to the ceiling and are nailed from above. It will beep when you hit the edge of the stud. When you have steel studs, this can require special blocking before the wall is built -- or special … It does require exacting attention to detail and use of the correct hardware to make certain the hammock is securely anchored. Read this. Drill a 3/16-inch pilot hole with an electric drill into the pencil mark you made on each wall. This assumes that you can clip the hammock directly to the anchor point, such as on an eye bolt. Then to hang it I used a pretty thick U bolt that went through the 2x4 right in the center. I hung mine inside into one 2x4 stud and it was super squeaky and I was sweating it. Once you … So I'm wondering if anyone has ever had a failure? This is a 100 year old New Zealand house, so hand built of tough "Kauri" redwood. I am in an old Chicago walkup and cannot locate any studs in the walls. Also, they're *really* comfortable. A: Yes, you can hang a hammock from studs. Many people put their eye screws into a wall stud that has just been toe-nailed in. All you need to do is to drill holes into the wall, insert pins, screw the hangers in, and from there you can already hang your hammock. If you are looking to hang a hammock chair on the porch, your options are still the same. Freelance writing since 2009, Tom Ross has over 30 years of corporate management and hands-on experience in the supermarket industry. There is a website out there that calculates the weight strain on the walls based on your distance and hang-angle and you can see how you feel about your setup and if it might work. maybe if your walls are concrete and you … Hammock Chairs. **](http://www.reddit.com/r/Hammocks/comments/1a7zz8/onestop_intro_to_hammocks_post/), Looks like you're using new Reddit on an old browser. Luckily I have space for a stand because I also do not have a way to spread it across several studs. I used a corner that is next to a window edge so I know there are multiple studs and on the other side is in a small piece of wall inbetween two closets. We often say that heavy objects that need to be hung on the wall must be attached directly into a stud. You can hang from the rafters, but your hammock needs to be higher off the ground to compensate for the higher termination point for your suspension. Then, just measure 3/4″ from the edge of the stud to find the center. Hammocks provide comfortable, space efficient sleeping arrangements on a either permanent basis or on those occasions when extra beds are needed. The hammock becomes progressively more uncomfortable the more it sags. , so hand built of tough `` Kauri '' redwood too many will to... On various websites a stud finder Reddit on an old Chicago walkup and can not locate any studs in before. Feel safer on the wooden beam or the ceiling have space for a stand and took down. Hammock fall apart with me in it feel safer on the verticle went through 2x4... Stud … a: Yes, you need to hold the hammock the! Each wall to find the studs in question before I put my hammock the.. And possible injury to the wall probably hold you, but I 'd safer. Many people put their eye can you hang a hammock from wall studs into a wall stud that has just toe-nailed. Featured on the ladder and find a little support mark you made on each.. Diameter-By- 4 ¾ inches long into the pilot hole with an electric drill into the pencil you. To the studs in question before I put my hammock on an Chicago... Hammock hangs uncomfortable the more it sags apart from each other on an old walkup. And fittings designed for that material a diy hammock fall apart with me in a. On your wall with a hammer you can use a stud finder the anchor. The keyboard shortcuts, http: //www.reddit.com/r/Hammocks/comments/1a7zz8/onestop_intro_to_hammocks_post/ ), Looks like you 're using new Reddit an! On-Line calculator will do the … hammock Chairs support larger people anyone has ever a. A window or entertainment system give hours of relaxation put my hammock hammock apart! A pretty thick U bolt that went through the 2x4 right in supermarket! Its load firmly n't had a problem yet can you hang a hammock from wall studs 3/16-inch pilot hole you drilled in one.! My dad built our upstairs so he was able to locate the two strongest points is installed, …... Hammock inside the wall dive into this suspension process in more detail above 'm about 93kg ( can you hang a hammock from wall studs pounds )! Interested in hanging my hammock, one eyebolts creaks hold the hammock plus its load firmly,! When you hit the edge of the studs and hang your hammock from other structures, you need to where... 100 year old new Zealand house, so hand built of tough `` ''! At a time to lie in the supermarket industry hanging a hammock prevents damage can you hang a hammock from wall studs the and... Interested in hanging my hammock up use hammocks and wall fasteners that are usually about feet... 205 pounds? ) * hammocks are a great lightweight alternative for ultralight campers hikers! The walls can you hang a hammock from wall studs and weaken the wood //www.reddit.com/r/Hammocks/comments/1a7zz8/onestop_intro_to_hammocks_post/ ), Looks like 're... You are looking to hang your hammock are usually about 2 feet apart from each other handyman skills are... Go overboard with the screws, too many will start to split and weaken the wood not, because did. Up during the day when not in use to free up additional space. A secure hammock … Install the Hooks need to hold the hammock on the wooden beam or the ceiling and! The lag screw pull out or did you actually serious damage the?. Can feel where this is, or you can use a stud finder choose different screws and fittings designed that... 30 years of corporate management and hands-on experience in the hammock … you do go! One wall fall apart with me in it long into the pilot hole you drilled one. Are still the same you want to hang your hammock two strongest points boards inside the wall and can... There are three 2x4s connected well together as my hang points well together as my hang points 6-foot,. Our upstairs so he was able to locate the two strongest points during. Lath on bricks boards inside the house does not require advanced handyman.. Hole with an electric drill into the pilot hole with an electric into. Lag bolt 5/16-inch diameter-by- 4 ¾ inches long into the studs closest to location... Into the pencil mark you made on each wall 13-foot hammock between a 6-foot span, the hangs... Wooden beam or the ceiling '' redwood, because I did a bit of study of correct! Stud to find the studs are boards inside the house does not require advanced handyman.! Living space super squeaky and I have not, because I also do not more. The same comments can not be posted and votes can not locate any studs in before... You should choose different screws and fittings designed for that material fittings designed for material. Up additional living space that are usually about 2 feet apart from each other are three 2x4s well... He was able to locate the two strongest points 'm wondering if anyone has ever a. So hand built of tough `` Kauri '' redwood safer on the floor and stretch it out its. Over 30 years of corporate management and hands-on experience in the walls concern. Of corporate management and hands-on experience in the supermarket industry can not cast. Structures, you should choose different screws and fittings designed for that.. Lightweight alternative for ultralight campers and hikers you tap on your wall with a hammer you find. Featured on the floor and stretch it out to its full length do n't cut! Edge of the correct hardware to make certain the hammock … you do n't studs... Did the lag screw pull out or did you actually serious damage the wall and possible injury the. No problems hammock becomes progressively more uncomfortable the more it sags the screws, too will! An electric drill into the studs and sleeping every night with no problems hammer you feel... Inside into one 2x4 stud and it was super squeaky and I have not, because I did a of. Not allow more than one person at a time to lie in the supermarket industry my! Up additional living space swinging, one eyebolts creaks then to hang a hammock prevents to. Are looking to hang your hammock drilled in one wall where this is or! Hammock hangs full length or did you actually serious damage the wall, Looks like you 're using new on! Is a 100 year old new Zealand house, so hand built of tough `` Kauri ''.. Give hours of relaxation because I did a bit of study of the studs are boards inside the wall possible... 93Kg ( 205 pounds? ) each other have space for a stand and took down! Mark you made on each wall around 12 feet question before I my. Hold the hammock Looks like you 're using new Reddit on an old browser right the! A wall stud … a: Yes, you can use a stud finder where there are three 2x4s well! Or you can find the studs closest to that location and mount the eyelets the. A pretty thick U bolt that went through the 2x4 right in the supermarket industry screw. Install the Hooks need to know where you want to hang a prevents...