In November 2010, the Indian company V H Group bought Blackburn Rovers under the name of Venky's London Limited for £23 million. When things went silent in the second half I thought we had blown it. [7], On 28 September 1878, Blackburn Rovers became one of 23 clubs to form the Lancashire Football Association. Test your knowledge on this sports quiz and compare your score to others. Football has been the greatest thing I share with my dad and our team winning the league is one of the high points of my life. I went with a friend. Call me Jack.” He would come in the dressing room every single match, before and after, win, lose or draw to talk to us and would never get the hump. On the anniversary of Rovers clinching the title, we speak to some of the people involved on that final day at Liverpool, Thu 14 May 2020 03.00 EDT My cruciate injury in April was devastating. All the Liverpool fans were keeping us updated on the United score. [17] During the 1897–98 season the club stayed in the first division only as the result of a decision to increase the number of teams from 16 to 18. The first game played at the new Ewood Park ground was on 13 September 1890 against Accrington, the 0–0 draw was viewed by 10,000 people and on 31 October 1892 artificial lights were installed. Despite this, the owners of Blackburn Rovers provided assurances over the continued funding of the club, even if they were relegated. Blackburn Rovers Football Club is a professional football club in Blackburn, Lancashire, England, which competes in the Championship, the second tier of the English football league system. During this time, they seldom made a serious challenge for a major trophy – although they did reach the 1960 FA Cup final when managed by Scot Dally Duncan. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Therefore, in 1881 the club moved to Leamington Road, Blackburn Rovers' first purpose built ground including a 700-person capacity seated grandstand, costing £500. He led the team to sixth the following season and Rovers's third European qualification in five years. This field was farmland and was owned by a local farmer; when Blackburn Rovers weren't using the field it was used to graze cows. [25] The title chase went down to the last game of the season, but despite Rovers losing to Liverpool they edged out rivals Manchester United to win the championship. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality. This tradition has carried through all eight FA Cup finals the cup has been a part of all the way to their last FA Cup final against Woverhampton Wanderers in 1960. Souness left just after the start of 2004–05 to take charge at Newcastle,[36] and he was replaced by Welsh national coach Mark Hughes. Further information on the development and academy squads: The trophy was known as the Charity Shield until 2002, and as the Community Shield ever since. Two former Malvernians and two former Salopians played in that first team, so there is a clear link with these public schools. The purpose of the meeting was "to discuss the possibility of forming a football club to play under Association rules". But he wasn’t having it and screamed: “Lynne, I don’t fucking care. For the 1995 Charity Shield everyone got a new suit and shirt but somebody cut the sleeves off mine and Chris Sutton’s. Tim Sherwood. [43] The new owners immediately sacked manager Sam Allardyce and replaced him with first-team coach Steve Kean, initially on a temporary basis, but by January 2011 he had been awarded a full-time contract until June 2013. He threw and smashed the Sky remote against the wall in excitement. The first game played at this ground was held on 8 October 1881 against Blackburn Olympic resulting in a 4–1 win for Rovers. Welcome to the Blackburn Rovers legends page – the gateway to information on ex players who have played in the Premier League.