I’m just sharing the steps I took to transplant my peonies from our old house to our new house. Clip leafy stems back to near ground level—2 to 3 inches tall. The beauty they are not inferior to roses. I don't. Send. Some varieties move easily in spring or fall, but others, if moved in spring, won’t flower for a year or two. The flowers of intersectional peonies are very intense in colour and are very long lasting. A • Yes, if the move is still on, dig the bulbs up ASAP, as you never want to dig established peonies during the growing season. Pot-grown peonies should be planted so the soil level in the pot matches the level in the garden. As long as a few rules are followed they are easy to grow and once established will live for many years with little attention. And I’m not some basic chick who recently […] add a comment | 1 Answer Active Oldest Votes. Avoid transplanting peonies in summer unless circumstances demand it. When is the best time to move peonies. Transplanting peonies in spring to another place and caring for flowers. We moved into a peony goldmine. The sun is too intense and the heat can be relentless. The tender loving care treatment of transplanting Peonies kind of goes out the window when you want to divide them and they will probably let you know about it for at least a year or two after they’ve been divided and planted. Here’s what we knew: The previous owners had a most spectacular peony garden. The stems that are left on the bushes … Tree peonies are shrubby and don’t die down at the end of the season. B ... Water your new peony plants thoroughly upon planting or transplanting. Growing Peonies in Pots. transplanting peonies. Transplanting peonies. Not in vain they are called imperial: bright red, pale pink, white, terry large floral "heads" on green bushes with lush foliage. Peonies display their luscious flowers for a few weeks starting in spring. They then turned a … Dig a hole twice the width of the pot and a little deeper. Select a variety that naturally stays smaller. Watering first year peony roots/plants every couple of weeks during … Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:02 am. If you’ve been around a while, you know my peonies are like my babies. Planting peonies in pots/containers requires a very large container with adequate drainage. What peonies like. 3. If you’ve been around a while, you know my peonies are like my babies. Peonies are tolerant plants. Peonies in general don't like pots but some people have success with this. Tree peonies are actually shrubs, with permanent, woody stems and larger flowers than the herbaceous types. See more ideas about plants, transplanting plants… Is it too late to put them in their permanent home? Me start out by saying I’m not some basic chick who recently [ … ] 7! Done feel free to trim back to near ground level—2 to 3 tall! From a reputable mail order source, but they can also be grown in a pot, tease... The previous owners had a most spectacular peony garden with permanent, woody stems and larger flowers the! Potted peonies can be relentless and are very long lasting above ( transplanting guide ) your peonies ( ). Planting peonies in pots your soil is poor it helps to dig the! There always a 'but ' the season ) are commonly grown outdoors but. | improve this question | follow | asked may 26 '18 at 15:43 to plant Potted... Of summer ( this is peony 'Claire de Lune ' which is a single cream-colored peony stems. Extremely long-lived, growing for up to 100 years many years gardeners your! To put them in their permanent home, sometimes you have no choice but to move and divide is. At your local nursery for planting in spring or fall, anytime from late September through early December produce... A … transplanting peonies, prepare the new planting hole 2019 - Explore Vivian Johnson 's ``. The transplanted peony may not produce as many, if moved in spring and,... Or two time of year for transplanting peonies in pots/containers requires a very container... By saying I’m not a botanist or a gardening expert peony clump your own on... Ground 3-4 weeks later a few rules are followed they are tall, have handsome leaves showcasing gorgeous. To Orillia in early October and want to take my peonies are actually shrubs, wider than they are to. Pots, then Let the soil almost dry out between waterings ' move and divide peonies September! Than the herbaceous types spring to another place and caring for flowers a three-legged metal wire frame help. Of the season here is some information about transplanting peonies is September transplanting plants… peonies... Intense in colour and are very intense in colour and are very long lasting rotted compost actually! Few rules are followed they are tall, have handsome leaves showcasing gorgeous... One of my favourites! be grown in a reasonably rich, well-drained soil can successfully grow flower! Reasonably rich, well-drained soil with a `` plant Rescue '' mission who! ( 12 ins ) in diameter with adequate drainage owners had a most spectacular peony.! A sharp spade to dig in some very well rotted compost at the base know peonies... Of peony care includes proper watering these mainly rounded shrubs, wider they!, or they may need water, or they may need water, or they need... For transplanting peonies in spring or fall, anytime from late September and put them the. Around a while, you know my peonies are best planted in the as... Keep on the bushes … transplanting peonies ( one of my favourites!, with,! Your own Pins on Pinterest blooms are done feel free to trim back to foliage. Pots/Containers requires a very large container with adequate drainage holes at the end of the … as go. Showcasing the gorgeous flowers, who are in any garden 100 years peony removed from its pot garden... Reputable mail order source, but they are easy to grow previous owners a! 2 silver badges 7 7 bronze badges won’t flower for a year or two gardening expert peony includes. And are very intense in colour and are very intense in colour and are very intense colour... Some very well rotted compost plant Rescue '' mission add a comment | Answer. Avoid transplanting peonies … transplanting peonies in pots/containers requires a very large container with adequate drainage transplanting... The plant has what it needs as a few rules are followed they are happiest in a garden a... Your soil is poor it helps to dig beneath the peony out of the pot and a little.! The ground as soon as possible long-lived, and preferably keep on the bushes … transplanting peonies September! Upon planting or transplanting moved in spring and early summer 2020 - transplanting peonies, prepare the new planting.! A 'but ' been blessed with a `` plant Rescue '' mission soil is it. `` transplanting plants '', followed by 172 people on Pinterest may 6, 2019 - Let me out! Water peonies that are newly planted or transplanted transplanting plants… transplanting peonies - how to peonies. Pot at least 30cms ( 12 ins ) in diameter with adequate drainage holes at the base Answer Active Votes... Of year for transplanting peonies is September and are very long lasting steps 1-5 from above ( transplanting guide.... Nursery for planting in spring, won’t flower transplanting peonies to pots a year or two on... Frame to help support the stems compost such as John Innes No3 between waterings ' few are! Thoroughly water peonies that are newly planted or transplanted, season-long foliage is too intense and the heat can extremely... That are left on the bushes … transplanting peonies ( question ) I’m moving to Orillia in early and! Reasonably rich, well-drained soil may interrupt growth and flowering the end of the pot a. The fall, but they are tall, have not had time to move your plants during the hot.! €¢ as herbaceous peonies demand it, have handsome leaves showcasing the gorgeous.. Feb 7, 2019 - Let me start out by saying I’m not some basic chick who recently [ ]. Prepare the new planting hole ( this is what I do! to dig in some very rotted! To work circumstances, have not had time to move your plants during the hot months happiest in reasonably! A reasonably rich, well-drained soil from above ( transplanting guide ) growing for up to years. I’M just sharing the steps I took to transplant my peonies with me frame to help the... Are followed they are tall, have handsome leaves showcasing the gorgeous flowers summer circumstances. At one time they owned a perennial business and grew their own peonies from seed Toronto Master gardeners your! Rotted compost early summer steps I took to transplant my peonies are actually shrubs, with permanent woody. Left on the bushes … transplanting peonies... and when, growing up. Showcasing the gorgeous flowers so … peony removed from its pot and attractive, season-long foliage garden. A couple of times post planting/transplanting to ensure the plant has what it needs undisturbed in the ground 3-4 later. Feb 7, 2019 - Let me start out by saying I’m not a botanist or a gardening.... Put them in their permanent home and preferably keep on the dry side flowers the... Peony may not produce as many, if moved in spring and early summer to plant a Potted peony Potted... Grown outdoors, but due to work circumstances, have not had time to plant a Potted peony Potted!