©2020 FOX News Network, LLC. "What are you doing?" Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Orlando Weekly, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. "Stand on the white line," one of them barks, and when my son hesitates, pointing out that the line is merely just "kind of white," the actor yells: " 'Kind of'?! I'll soon be disabused of this notion. Disney has a lot hinging on the upcoming opening of Stars Wars: Rise of the Resistance ride at the two now open Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge lands. script.src = 'https://us.commitchange.com/js/donate-button.v2.js'; We get boarding group 109. And even now, the resort is planning to scale back operating hours at the Florida theme parks due to coronavirus-related cancellations, Fox Business reported. There are three Disney World rides dedicated to Star Wars. I stand frozen, muttering my despair, but then a millennial takes pity, tells me to refresh my app, and voilà: We, too, join the anointed. The ride itself is amazing you at in the pod and everyone is given a different job (pilot, shooter etc). Only, for some reason, the words do not light up. Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance is the talk of the galaxy, the new attraction that opens on Thursday 5th December at Walt Disney World in Orlando. I say. Orlando at 6 a.m. can be cold, dark and windy, so check the weather and if appropriate, make like the locals and bring along blankets, coffee and breakfast. The ride brings you on an adventure through a First Order starship after you are captured on the fictional planet of Batuu. "I wish I could see how it works too," I tell my son. #GalaxysEdge pic.twitter.com/yeueUfQAxj. When we visited, we made a beeline for the hot chocolate and churros cart. However, the COVID-19 pandemic pushed Disney to temporarily close Disney World earlier this year. A guest at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida caught a dramatic lightning strike on video that reportedly temporarily shut down a ride. first.parentNode.insertBefore(script, first); Fox News Flash top headlines for August 12. Two of them are in the elaborate Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, and all are available to ride in Disney's Hollywood Studios. Each morning, before Hollywood Studios officially opens (opening times vary; the day we went it was 7 a.m. but the gates opened earlier, about 6:40 a.m.), hundreds of would-be Rise riders amass outside. Maybe the ride won't be so cool, after all, he tells me. - but then I find him on the other side of the low barrier that separates us from Rise of the Resistance. The highly-anticipated Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opened last December. All parts of this site Copyright © 2020 Orlando Weekly. Or sort of. var npo = 5276; About a half-hour after we've started, we emerge outside in a different part of Galaxy's Edge, which seems fitting, because we both feel as if we've traveled. A ride in the park, Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, was temporarily shut down after the strike, Disney news website WDWNT.com reported. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, An employee said this was the quickest & earliest it’s sold out. Disney parks chief Bob Chapek's job may be on the line, if the land is deemed a failure. FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK FOR MORE FOX LIFESTYLE NEWS. "Ride" isn't even really the right word to describe Rise of the Resistance. Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Central Florida. Photo / Supplied. © 2020 When I say 'It's white,' it's white!" Got group 3. Intergalactic chaos ensues, but eventually, thanks to the interventions of Poe Dameron, we are rescued by fellow Resistance members, who put us in an escape pod that takes us back to the base. All market data delayed 20 minutes. A Disney representative didn’t immediately respond to questions from Fox News. ©2020 FOX News Network, LLC. It all sounds very orderly, and yet, when we arrive at the park entrance at what we think is a worm-catching 6:09 a.m., we discover that we are already late to the Rise of the Resistance party. My son and I spend the rest of morning in a delirious haze, caught between anticipation of achieving our dream (or at least my son's) and fear of not pulling it off. Waterford Lakes' newest addition might have unforeseen consequences for Pointe Orlando, As Disney opens its new Star Wars land in Orlando, another local theme park says goodbye. (function() { How low? Aaron Coppock told FOX35 in Orlando that the lightning bolt appeared to hit inside the Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge park Monday. Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community. Before our trip, a patient Disney phone rep had talked me through the procedure for getting on the ride. It's a Trap! The 20-minute ride features a trackless vehicle that can follow different paths full of special effects and original scenes with actors from the movies. If you decide to skip food, there are a few early breakfast spots inside the park. Disney has a network of lightning rods throughout its parks in order to deal with storms, according to the report. Fun stories about food, relationships, the great outdoors and more. The ride reopened Wednesday. Apparently, Rise of the Resistance has had not infrequent breakdowns and sometimes runs only a handful of hours a day. And maybe we have. WHY DISNEY WORLD RARELY EVER HAS A POWER OUTAGE. At lunch, over bad pizza, my son overhears an adult give his friends a blow-by-blow account of Rise of the Resistance, which he finds both titillating and depressing. It's a Trap! We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Orlando Weekly.