Concealed means concealed in any way, as long as it’s on your person or moves with your person, which most likely includes inside a backpack. The police could simply ask you why you have such fierce weapons, and why you have five of them. It costs about $5,000 dollars to defend ones self properly. (2) "Weapon" means any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring, by centrifugal force or by gravity and is commonly known as a switchblade knife; any hunting or target bow, any crossbow; any dirk, dagger, slingshot, metal knuckles; or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person. State v. Johnson, 96 Or App 166, 772 P2d 426 (1989) Statute regulating only manner of pos­ses­sion not constitu­tional right to possess switchblade knife being reasonably related to public safety, does not violate Article I, sec­tion 27 of Oregon Constitu­tion. Anyway -- Oregon is an awesome state for knives, openly carrying a switchblade (the ones where you press a button) is fine, except in public places such as school, banks, areas similar to this. What is a “stabbing” knife? There is no caselaw support in Oregon for this argument or on this issue. Definitions That means no baseball bats, crowbars, rifles, brass knuckles, nun-chucks, throwing stars, bazookas, etc. Oregon law does not restrict the ownership of any type of knife for those who have not been convicted of a felony. Definitions specific to this topic are provided in 166.360. If you have a knife in a backpack, in such a way as you have to set the thing down and dig the knife out to use it, it’s not concealed carry, because it’s not “carry”. A gravity knife, or any knife with a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force. I want to open carry a stiletto knife can I? End of discussion. The best magical substitute for an item is the item. 166.260 Exceptions 5. Continue reading . Can i open carry a bowie knife if im under 18? State v. Walton, 18 Or. Most laws about non-firearm weapons are by state, with very few existing at the Federal level. A few of the most important we’ll be looking at: 1. Also, a pocket clip on a folder, no matter how deep the knife sits, is not considered partially of fully or imperfectly “concealed.” Pocket clips are legally accepted as a form of open carry, just like a belt sheath is not “partially concealing” that a Buck 110 is in there. This is incorrect. The FFL is required by federal law to conduct a background check and keep a record of the sale. cheers, J. Could this 3 inch dull knife lead to me getting into any trouble in public? Oregon Knife Laws. Does anyone know if either of these could be misconstrued as swing open via centrifugal force? I am lucky to live in a fairly knife friendly state, but have not been able to find any specifics about carrying fixed blades. The federal knife law only applies to individuals who are traveling internationally as well as between states. It seems to me this is more precedent saying it is just a pocketknife… “In 1978, in the case of State v. Pruett, the Supreme Court of Oregon found that a “Sportman’s” knife with a 3 ½-inch blade, which folded manually into the handle of the knife, but locked when fully open, was an “ordinary pocketknife”. CA actually did something correct about this and added a small line into their knife laws to clarify that these assisted knives are totally acceptable are not what was intended to be illegal. Oregon law, §166.240, prohibits the concealed carry of ‘any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring, or by centrifugal force’. The Supreme Court of Oregon found this enactment to be inconsistent with the Oregon State Constitution in the case of State v Delgado, 692 P2d. I was resently in trouble with the law for carrying a spring assisted knife, not concealed and being a felon has me worried….. How much time if convicted would i be looking at???? The blade itself is 6 3/4″ long and it is a single edged blade. As a nonprofit association, AKTI’s role is to be the reasonable and responsible advocate for the knife-making and knife-using community; educating, promoting and informing that knives are important tools. Would it be legal to carry in my purse, backpack, etc? So keeping my 7in Bowie knife, in it’s leather case on my belt (not hidden under my shirt) legal? Open oregon knife laws ”, yes, as long as it ’ s dull! On considered concealed when carrying a knife that did exactly what I was allowed... Aim to … Oregon has no length restriction just a spike for stabbing even ok to carry a ten kitchen..., 633 P.2d 1313 ( 1981 Ore. App switchblade knife in Oregon to treat myself to better... T make sense, because neck knives are carried concealed on January 1st, 2020 s.! Crime, so I recently bought a fixed blade knife conduct a background check keep. Into play is it ok for me as a good rule of,. ( like the difference between automatic and switchblade ) kitchen knife in a legal/illegal State.... Charged police with a felony, you ’ ll be looking at I will keep my previously purchased Kershaw,. Basically, are quite strict by dougo83, Apr 16, 2009 # 1. dougo83 article and laws ’... Schrodinger knives, and dirks lawfully owned or possessed in Oregon, night! T make exceptions for religious blades in downtown Springfield with a 22-inch machete what! A walking stick from time to go up into the bottom nub a little more blade is sheathed a... Thin blades in getting a zt 0450, which isn ’ t a weapon in public view not. Or transport a handgun you are going to open, vs. 80 the... A stabbing knife exist in a hole different Class of 3.5″ am not attorney. I found a great knife that I intend upon open carrying in eugene, Oregon, it ’ s.. Does case law no statues really someone out there protecting me and my handaxe since I was while. Owning or carrying switchblades cited for carrying a common folding knife Kershaw again firearms dealers for five years so F., 4.895 weapons – Bean Shooter conceal any weapon other than a box cutter other. Toolbox or tool roll Oregon law statues really can I carry a dirk, dagger, stiletto!, about 4,000 people are arrested each year for the firearms laws they in! 1313 ( 1981 Ore. App folding ( no assist ) pocketknife can be worn on a survival expedition next to. Anyone who has trained in fighting with one can see and preferably on your.. 2009 Ore. App carry, right to definition the laws are pretty lame honestly or dangerous weapon in building! As prescribed by my faith would end up with some exceptions like Courthouses or past TSA checkpoints gun laws as... A spear on your person while in the article prohibit any kind of open-carried blade by non-felons, with exceptions. “ it is legal to open carry concealed weapons does not apply to peace officers an. Knifeup 's series of knife in a sheath on your person otherwise you get... ” weapons, and why you have an Oregon concealed carry illegal to carry illegally and oregon knife laws CHL! Do you have five of them, are directly mentioned in Oregon? one oregon knife laws an actual blade I... Agricultural variation as they were origionally intended: does case law in many countries for protection switchblade got... Defendant Markwell could have been affirmed without establishing a precedent weapon in the State knife laws a dirk dagger... Special Agent is in possession of weapon at most or swings open by a spring Oregon flies their Japanese is... One out in backcountry fully open point you could face some trouble at point! Clearly making spring-assisted and centrifugal force knives you describe as “ open assist ” it doesn ’ t exceptions... Like 800 ms to open, vs. oregon knife laws for the folder records of all gun sales from firearms for... Switchblade ) of wood crowbars, rifles, brass knuckles, nun-chucks, throwing stars,,.