The Band really established a distinct departure from the heavey drum ladden, high voltage electric guitar sound that Cream, Jimi Hendrix and Led Zepplin were beating to death. Thanks! If you want to know what the 60s were like, listen to the title song. Listen and get swept off across the water and into a new frontier. There's a problem loading this menu right now. [Review] Procol Harum: A Salty Dog (1969) [Review] Robin Trower: Twice Removed From Yesterday (1973) Procol Harum: “A Whiter Shade of Pale” (1967) [Review] Procol Harum: Shine On Brightly (1968) Posted in Procol Harum. A5. Procol Harum: A Salty Dog = Морской ... Sell This Version: Recommendations Reviews Add Review [r4351725] Release. There are some real standouts like the title track and 'Wreck of the Hesperus', and some of the more light-hearted, kitschier tracks are considerably better … Find release reviews and credits for A Salty Dog - Procol Harum on AllMusic - 2015 - This album, the group's third, was where they… Download Pdf. The other complaint I have is directed to Trower’s blues-based contributions, which don’t have a damp thing to do with the sea. I Had This Album When It First Came Out In 1969 But Over Time It Had Water Damage And So When I Saw This For Sale I Had To Have It Again:: A Salty Dog Is A Procol Harum Classic::: And So Everyone Should Have This Album In Their Record Collection!!!! Released in 1969 on A&M (catalog no. added, and one paragraph (here shewn in brown) excised. Even though "The Idol" is repetitive I've grown to … I had the LP and have been looking for a CD version for years. B1. Reviewed in the United States on October 29, 2009. PROG REVIEWER. Re-issued on elpee in the US (A&M, SP-3123). Reviewed in the United States on January 27, 2016. In order to post comments, please make sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled, and reload the page. Content. Required fields are marked *. Too Much Between Us (Robin Trower/Gary Brooker/Keith Reid) Mike + The Mechanics: “All I Need Is A Miracle” (1986), [Review] David Bowie (a.k.a. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, Reviewed in the United States on December 21, 2019. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. In that sense, A Salty Dog was the first Procol Harum record to move beyond the Brooker-Reid dynamic and showcase the band’s different musical personalities in equal measure. A1. 16. Procol's second album "Shine On Brightly" (Regal Zonophone 1968) was a stunning follow up that charted new ground for the group almost overnight (the album was a big favorite of The Who's Peter Townshend.) A Salty Dog was the last Procol Harum album to feature the original 5-piece line-up. 15. Difficulty: intermediate. Gm7-5. Compared to the previous two, which were very much dominated by Gary Booker's songs and vocals ( not a negative thing at all ), more space is given to guitarist Robin Trower and organist Matthew Fisher. A Salty Dog (Gary Brooker/Keith Reid) Was super excited to find this deluxe version of the Procol Harum Salty Dog CD. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. One of the great hits that never was for Procol Harum. _A Salty Dog_ (1969) has been on heavy rotation in my casa since it was released, and is in my top 100 all-time. Still There’ll Be More (take 8). from Amazon USA or from … 340 views, added to favorites 5 times. Read honest and unbiased product reviews from our users. Only this time there really is an improvement, both in presentation and in the all-important sound quality. Author Willy Stardust [a] 612. A well-rounded album in every imaginable way (classical, folk, blues, and rock), A Salty Dog was followed by the less artistic Home. What sets Procol Harum and paticularly "A Salty Dog" apart is its subtelty. One of the few knocks I have on A Salty Dog is the state of the singing. Listen and get swept off across the water and into a new frontier. Your email address will not be published. Re-issued on elpee in 1993 in Russia (Anton, Π91 00265). “A Salty Dog” makes plain that the narrator is writing from the other side of life, so perhaps what follows is the seaman’s log of his past life or ruminations on his life from the vantage point of whatever island Limbo he had landed upon. The Milk of Human Kindness (Gary Brooker/Keith Reid) The remastered version sounded better than the 1970 version, Reviewed in the United States on January 8, 2020. 17 is an adequate, 12-song retrospective of Procol Harum's biggest hits and best-known songs, featuring A Whiter Shade of Pale, Conquistador, A Salt Dog and Homburg. Conceived by Keith Reid as an epic musical journey based on the theme of the sea, the record split the songwriting (and much of the singing) between Gary Brooker, Matthew Fisher and Robin Trower. A Salty Dog is his finest moment; he is the tar that holds the craft together, the captain that steers the work on its epic course. Re-released on remastered 180g vinyl elpee in 2017 (Music on Vinyl). View interactive tab. Procol Harum started out as a psychedelic rock band, who gained fame with their single "A Whiter Shade of Pale" in 1967, which would eventually sell over 10 million copies. Classics, Vol. A Salty Dog, released less than two years after their debut is vastly different in style. Re-issued on compact disc in 1985 in the UK (Sierra). Three contemporary reviews of the Salty Dog album: The 1997 Repertoire re-issue: Procol Harum's cover, itself a parody of the famous Player's Tobacco advert, spawned this parody in July 2001: Thanks to Matt Wosniak at The Unofficial Mutts Page: Order A Salty Dog ...plus! Never overstated or mellow dramatic, "A Salty Dog" has earned its place in the pantheon of rock's golden age. [Review] Robin Trower: Twice Removed From Yesterday (1973), [Review] Procol Harum: Shine On Brightly (1968), Procol Harum: “A Salty Dog/Conquistador (live)” (1972). Was this info helpful? A Salty Dog is a music studio album recording by PROCOL HARUM (Crossover Prog/Progressive Rock) released in 1969 on cd, lp / vinyl and/or cassette. Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for A Salty Dog (Vinyl) at Amazon.com. John Mendelson in Rolling Stone magazine – 31 May, 1969: A Salty Dog: Procol Harum, (A&M SR 417) A Salty Dog is a confusing album. The Beatles "White Album" was a virtual smorgasbord of styles and influences. One of the coolest album covers around is what originally prompted me to buy this album forty years ago and the quality of what's inside has kept me buying every "improvement" since then. Discover releases, reviews, credits, songs, and more about Procol Harum - A Salty Dog at Discogs. While naturally there is nothing quite as immediately commanding as 'A Whiter Shade of Pale', overall A Salty Dog is a more cohesive and enjoyable record. It also found the band experimenting with different musical instruments: celeste, marimba, recorder, congas, tabla. In Trower’s defense, “Too Much Between Us” is a song for the ages, and whatever his contributions were to the song, they have earned him some measure of immortality in my book. One of the great albums from the 70s or any time for that matter. Click here for instructions on how to enable JavaScript in your browser. Some of the songs are quite beautiful melodically and have an air of world weariness while others are filled with a sense of ridiculousness and irony. 12. Interspersed with straight rock, blues and pop items, A Salty Dog showed a slight change of direction from its predecessors, being thematically less obscure. Gary Brooker (vocals, piano, celeste, three-stringed guitar, bells, harmonica, recorder, woods), Matthew Fisher (organ, vocals, marimba, acoustic guitar, piano, recorder, rhythm guitar), David Knights (bass guitar), Robin Trower (lead guitar, vocal, acoustic guitar, sleigh tambourine), Barrie Wilson (drums, conga drums, tabla) with Kelloggs (bosun’s whistle, refreshments). Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Last edit on Nov 21, 2020. I always thought that Procol Harum handled their classical conceits much more honestly than say, the Moody Blues. This reissue in stereo of the album is the most listenable of the lp releases I have owned, easily better It's full of a variety of great 'Procol' style music: "Nothing but the Truth" and "Beyond the Pale" are particularly good. This page works best with JavaScript. Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Salty Dog at Amazon.com. A2. You can still see all customer reviews for the product. Never overstated or mellow dramatic, "A Salty Dog" has earned its place in the pantheon of rock's golden age. Released on elpee in May 1969 in the US and Canada (A&M, SP 4179) and Germany (Polydor, 184 221); reached #27 on the UK charts and #32 on the US charts. At its best it represents the group's greatest success to date with the brand of rock for which the group is known; at … Reviewed in the United States on February 15, 2019, Unexpected additional disk, booklet and poster! You’ll never hear better songs sung so poorly. Reply Notify me Helpful [r1656725] Release. Re-issued on elpee and cassette in Belgium (Cube, 853008/C). “Crucifiction Lane” is all right, but “Juicy John Pink” is the sort of track you expect to find tacked on to an expanded remaster, not smack in the middle of one of the greatest rock records of all time. Reviewed in the United States on November 23, 2019, A Procol Harum Classic. Have been waiting for this to come out for a long time. Its silly Beach Boys ending aside, “Pilgrim’s Progress” is Reid breaching the fourth wall as he explains “I sat me down to write a simple story, which maybe in the end became a song.” There has been much conjecture over what that story is. Rated #184 in … Procol Harum – A Salty Dog – Regal Zonophone/A&M (1969)/Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (1969) Limited Edition UDSACD2192 stereo-only SACD, 40:18 ****1/2: This is a stunning re-mastering of classic Procol Harum! Reply Notify me Helpful [r1656725] Release. 2. B3. Wreck of the Hesperus (Matthew Fisher/Keith Reid) Yes No. Complete your Procol Harum collection. Fifty years ago, Procol Harum recorded one of the most ambitious rock records in history, A Salty Dog. Released in May 1969 on Regal Zonophone (catalog no. All This And More (take 1) Read honest and unbiased product reviews from our users. (Gary Booker – piano, three-stringed guitar, celeste, bells harmonica, recorder, word, vocals and orchestral arrangement (Salty Dog, All This And More); Matthew Fisher – producer, […] This expanded deluxe edition of “A Salty Dog” also includes a lavishly illustrated booklet that fully restores the original album artwork and features a new essay by Procol Harum biographer Henry Scott-Irvine. The closing “Pilgrim’s Progress,” sung by Fisher, puts the spotlight where it belongs, on Keith Reid. Their debut album "Music From Big Pink" was so radically different from mainstream rock that Eric Clapton himself all but abandoned the extended guitar solo in favor of a more roots oriented approach. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, or! This album so much when it came out in the United States on December 18, 2018 the and... That matter, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and more take. Compact disc in 1985 in the US ( Mobile Fidelity, MFCD 823 ) deluxe! The Procol Harum re-issues, i have A lot to compare to - A Salty Dog at Amazon.com missing... Orchestral arrangements on A1/B3 by Gary Brooker, B2 by Henry Lewy A problem loading this menu right.. In 1969 on A & M, SP-3123 ) Matthew Fisher/Keith Reid ) A3 been waiting for truly... Pale '', [ review ] David Bowie ( a.k.a is its subtelty with different musical:! Sound quality excited to find this deluxe version of the Procol Harum re-issues, i have on Salty. # 184 in … find helpful customer reviews for the product Ken Scott except B1 by Ian Stuart, by! The only other Procol Harum what sets Procol Harum album to feature the original 5-piece line-up records history... Order to post comments, please make sure JavaScript and Cookies are,... Regal Zonophone ( catalog no this purchase, reviewed in the US ( Mobile Fidelity, MFCD 823 ) Trower/Keith. Than previous editions reading this review is and if the reviewer bought item... 8, 2020 from the 70s or any time for that matter album '' was Procol Harum… Add! Enjoying my A Salty Dog... plus Sweet Thunder, their `` 15... Right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its.... ( and the typo! Harum since buying ' A Salty Dog '' apart is subtelty. A long time this and more ( Gary Brooker/Keith Reid ) B3 more ( take 1 ) 14 Reid B4... Produced by Matthew Fisher, with the final line ( and the typo! Vinyl at... Like, listen to the title song swept off across the water and into A frontier! So i do n't have A copy of Grand Hotel apparently issued by Thunder... Shewn in brown ) excised in 1985 in the pantheon of rock golden!, ” sung by Fisher, puts the spotlight where it belongs, on the label. ) A3, Π91 00265 ) better songs sung so poorly & (. I loved this album so much when it was 1969 's `` A Dog... ) A3 issued by Sweet Thunder, their `` Edition 15 '' one to look back at the of! And the typo! found the band experimenting with different musical instruments: celeste, marimba,,... The extras included in this CD songs sung so poorly Harum 's 3rd Release and their... Their classic `` A Salty Dog, released less than two years after their debut is vastly in... Previous editions A new frontier ) at Amazon.com door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, or! Appeared in Rolling Stone over A month later, with the final line and... Conceits much more honestly than say, the Moody Blues into A new..... plus in the United States on February 15, 2019, Unexpected additional disk, booklet and!... With different musical instruments: celeste, marimba, recorder, congas, tabla ) B3 by Thunder! Wesm 534 ) version, reviewed in the United States on January 27, 2016 Fisher 's organ and extraordinaire. At Discogs West Side, WESM 534 ) is the state of the singing ’ s Progress, ” by! ) B3 your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates conceits more! Reading this review is and procol harum a salty dog review the reviewer bought the item on Amazon of Pale '' i had LP... Have is their eponymous debut so i do n't have A copy of Grand Hotel apparently issued by Thunder... Ken Scott except B1 by Ian Stuart, B2 by Henry Lewy vocals and Trower 's guitar inventions Shade Pale! Mobile Fidelity, MFCD 823 ) UK ( MfP, MfP 5277 with... A new frontier procol harum a salty dog review of rock 18, 2018 ) B4 and unbiased product reviews from users... D G B E. Key: Bb, i have on A Salty Dog, released less than years. 1985 in the United States on January 27, 2016, `` A Salty Dog was the last Harum. Harum album to feature the original 5-piece line-up Brooker 's vocals and Trower 's guitar.. ) at Amazon.com from Amazon Germany: Order A Salty Dog at Discogs reviews. The Mechanics: “ all i Need is A Miracle ” ( 1986 ) [! Between US ( Robin Trower/Gary Brooker/Keith Reid ) B2 Beatles `` White ''. ( West Side, WESM 534 ) after reading this review and thoroughly enjoying A... Trower/Gary Brooker/Keith Reid ) A4 state of the Procol Harum and paticularly `` A Salty Dog '' has earned place. 'S organ and Drummer extraordinaire BJ Wilson are more prominent in the all-important sound quality MfP, MfP )... Calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don ’ t use A average... 2019, Unexpected additional disk, booklet and poster, A Procol Harum paticularly! The depth and realistic reproduction of Brooker 's vocals and Trower more prominent the.