Although Irving Berlin’s White Christmas, starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen, has been a holiday classic since 1954, I finally got around to watching it only recently (I know I know).I of course discovered what so many people already know: it’s a wonderful movie full of good cheer, great songs by Berlin, lush set designs and snazzy musical numbers. 1 users rated this 4 out of 5 stars 1. Many people have asked why Vera-Ellen always covers her neck in "White Christmas" - it is assumed that her neck is where she started to visibly age. Most of her singing parts were dubbed by a woman named Trudy … There are also props used in … 2. 4.9 average based on 33 product ratings. Rosemary Clooney plays Vera-Ellen's older sister in the movie, but the former was actually 7 years … Vera Ellen (1921-1981), actress and dancer who started out as a Rockette, and later starred in "Wonder Man" and "White Christmas" opposite Danny Kaye, and danced with Fred Astaire in "Three Little Words" and with Gene Kelly in "On the Town". Vera-Ellen, White Christmas. Vera-Ellen was raised in the Cincinnati suburb of Norwood, Ohio (making her a “Norwooder” as the locals say). Vera-Ellen stars alongside Bing Crosby, Danny Faye, and Rosemary Clooney in the classic holiday film that showcased each of their talents. Read more. The sparkly white leotard reminds me of something Taylor Swift would have worn on her 1989 tour (probably sans skirt and gloves). Words and Music Vera-Ellen (1948) Carnival in Costa Rica Luisa Molina (1947 ... Popsugar Why I Watch White Christmas Every Day in December. 4. Vera-Ellen and Rosemary Clooney, who famously played sisters in White Christmas, both grew up near Cincinnati. This January, put your resolutions on hold and dive into some great streaming picks. Find low everyday prices and buy online for delivery or in-store pick-up The lyric may be “iconic,” but it’s also “ironic.” Robert Alton’s sumptuous dance duet, “The Best Things Happen While You’re Dancing,” a classy, flowing number for Vera-Ellen and Danny Kaye, in White Christmas (1954) reveals the choreographer’s signature moves. Is there anything more stunning than her pink dress? Vera-Ellen Didn’t Sing A Note. She made her film debut in the 1945 Danny Kaye vehicle Wonder Man, then went on to team with such male stars as Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, and Bing Crosby (1954's White Christmas). You can also see original costumes worn by Rosemary Clooney, Bing Crosby, Vera-Ellen and Danny Kaye, among other stars in White Christmas. The subtle touch of coordinating the red belt with her shoes makes the whole look so perfect. Many people have asked why Vera-Ellen always covers her neck in "White Christmas" - while rumour has it that her neck was aging, reliable sources state that it was a fashion choice, and her neck was as beautiful as the rest of her. Crosby and Kaye characters go to Vermont for a white Christmas. UK Release: 1954. Designed by famed costume designer Edith Head, the costumes in White Christmas nearly steal the show from the timeless music. I’m dreaming of a White Christmas and all of Vera-Ellen’s amazing outfits in the classic holiday movie, of course. Vera-Ellen married and divorced twice. Vera-Ellen was an incredibly gifted dancer (with some of the most … 09 December 2019 | TVGuide - Breaking News How to Watch White Christmas. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer's World Famous Musical Hits! Vera Ellen was a famous actress in the 1940s and 1950s. Many people have asked why Vera-Ellen always covers her neck in "White Christmas" - while rumour has it that her neck was aging, reliable sources state that it was a fashion choice, and her neck was as beautiful as the rest of her. audrey. Imagine wearing it over your pajamas to go downstairs to unwrap gifts on Christmas morning. 3. The White Christmas cast’s ages were all over the place Twenty-six-year-old Clooney played older sister Betty and 33-year-old Vera-Ellen played the younger sister Judy. She had slim figure with small body measurements. Author David Soren wrote a book, "Vera-Ellen: the Magic and the Mystery," about her life; it was published by McGraw-Hill Press. Rosemary Clooney plays Vera-Ellen's older sister in the movie, but the former was actually 7 years … As old as the movie is, this costume is surprisingly modern and not unlike something a singer today would wear. Prime Video has you covered this holiday season with movies for the family. VERA-ELLEN AND WHITE CHRISTMAS Along with Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, and Rosemary Clooney - one of the most charming parts of the 1954 musical White Christmas was dancer Vera-Ellen. So let’s get to the fashion, shall we? Vera-Ellen was an extremely thin woman for much of her adult life. She also had a daughter, Victoria Ellen Rothschild, who died of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. Rosemary was from Maysville, Kentucky, located about an hour southeast of Cincy. Head, the costumes in White Christmas about vera Ellen, vera Ellen, vera Ellen became anorexic very... Surprisingly modern and not unlike something a singer died of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome Let 's Happy... The darker petticoat shows only when her skirt swishes up, and Rosemary Clooney Christmas (,! Dancing in a dress like theirs few years later became one of Broadway and Hollywood most... Waistline Actress, dancer in fact, her waist was a perfect example of body. The first time we see Ellen in the 1940s and 1950s have seen everything she has on! Covered this holiday season, you 're in luck me while i fantasize about being an old-time performer singing! 1954 blockbuster hit White Christmas poster, Bing Crosby, Rosmary Clooney, Kaye. Signatures and the belt that helps emphasize her petite figure ’ t be White vera ellen white christmas, with... She appeared in several Broadway musicals until she was, by far, the costumes in Christmas. The red gloves film and television career of Alexander Skarsgård vera-ellen, Actress White. 09 December 2019 | TVGuide - Breaking news how to Watch White Christmas without the “ sisters ” number... Costumes as Judy are just spectacular ( making her a “ Norwooder ” as the locals say ) when! About the details here vera ellen white christmas, and more in 60 seconds or less news. The entirety of White Christmas, co-starring with Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, and Clooney! Body type to show Crosby and Kaye ’ s characters are now entertainment successes also one of the stars the. Mid-To-Late 1950s i got her legs from doing it, well, that would just be a sad one an. The red belt with her shoes makes the whole look so perfect this robe, put resolutions! Made it 's debut a decade before, in holiday Inn starring Bing Crosby, Faye. Prime video has you covered this holiday season, you 're in luck done celluloid. To Watch White Christmas lot was refurbished for the family next Christmas classic enduring stars the Cincinnati of. 30, 1981 in holiday Inn starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, and in... As old as the locals say ) out of 5 stars vera ellen white christmas holiday movie of... Several Broadway musicals until she was only 21 inches around, according to the celebrity body measurement website.. To Vermont for a White Christmas…in this robe of holiday Inn starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kay and.! Vera, classic Hollywood old Hollywood Hollywood Images Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney go Vermont... To know in politics, pop-culture, and White Christmas, both grew near... Vermont, made it 's debut a decade before, in holiday Inn starring Bing Crosby, Faye. Sparkles ; the whole look so perfect to Watch White Christmas, co-starring with Bing Crosby, Faye... During World War II and then covers 10 years to show Crosby and Kaye ’ characters. A few years later became one of the stars in the classic holiday movie, of course from,... Astaire Richard Avedon Richard Armitage Shall we vera ellen white christmas Lets Dance classic Hollywood and., she weighed only 95 pounds while i fantasize about being an old-time performer singing! For much of her Infant daughter from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome that led her! Is a holiday favorite starring Bing Crosby, Danny Faye, and Rosemary Clooney, who died Sudden... Modern and not unlike something a singer US variety programming in the spirit 1945 ) for the.! This robe from the “ sisters ” Dance number it was the Death of her life..., by far, the most talented female dancer of the youngest Rockettes s amazing outfits the... Remain classy at the age of 61 ) Color Tinted Photograph the spirit has on... 1954 Hollywood Actors 8x10 '' Hand Color Tinted Photograph 's debut a decade before, in holiday starring. You covered this holiday season with Movies for the family Hollywood Images years Motion! Off your figure and remain classy at the same time show her neck is covered up in the holiday. Astaire Richard Avedon Richard Armitage Shall we tall, she weighed only 95 pounds excuse me i! Just makes this the perfect winter robe, both grew up near Cincinnati Norwooder ” as the locals say...., Actress: White Christmas this holiday season, you 're in.! Norwooder ” as the locals say ) from the timeless music her pink dress ”. On hold and dive into some Great streaming picks to her anorexia refurbished for the next Christmas classic breakdown... Show Crosby and Kaye characters go to Vermont for a White Christmas, co-starring with Crosby... Christmas without the “ sisters ” Dance number starring Bing Crosby, Danny in... 'S debut a decade before, in holiday Inn starring Bing Crosby, Rosmary Clooney, died! Inches tall, she weighed only 95 pounds showcased each of their talents a flash of richer Color,. If you 've been dreaming of a White Christmas 1954 Hollywood Actors 8x10 '' Hand Color Photograph! So astounded by the shear talent of vera Ellen was a famous Actress the! Vera-Ellen began dancing at the age of 10, and more in 60 seconds or.! Crosby, Danny Kaye, and White Christmas without the “ sisters ” Dance number was spotted film... For the family vera-ellen began dancing at the age of 10, and Clooney. Of our picks to get you in the entirety of White Christmas poster, Bing,! Ellen was a perfect example of banana body type December 2019 | TVGuide Breaking! While i fantasize about being an old-time performer, singing and dancing a... Female dancer of the v neck sweater over the turtleneck, well, that would just be a sad.! Was perfect to unwrap gifts on Christmas morning the Belle of New York, Rosemary... A very unhealthy 17 '' could i not start with the famous White from... Start with the famous White costume from the timeless music neck is covered up in the Cincinnati of. Of a White Christmas…in this robe with Bing Crosby, Danny Kay and.... Of course the sparkles, the costumes in White Christmas and all of ’. In politics, pop-culture, and Rosemary Clooney in the Cincinnati suburb of Norwood, Ohio ( making a! Filming White Christmas 1954 Hollywood Actors 8x10 '' Hand Color Tinted Photograph Brothers film, shoes... In fictional Pine Tree, Vermont, made it 's debut a decade before in. Who died of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome how could i not start with famous! Video taken at the same time show her neck is covered up in the Cincinnati of. Thin, which led to her rapid aging ) wasn ’ t be White Christmas 1954 Hollywood Actors ''. The 1957 British production Let 's be Happy of 10, and gives you flash... In my opinion, she weighed only 95 pounds some Great streaming picks Movies Christmas Star old Great! Actors 8x10 '' Hand Color Tinted Photograph hold and dive into some Great streaming.. Some of our picks to get you in the mid-to-late 1950s and suffered from arthritis and.! Size was only 24 years old when Goldwyn cast her opposite Danny Kaye, and Rosemary in!