00:07:28. At first, it was no more than a tiny vegetable patch on a vacant lot beside Daron Babcock’s Habitat for Humanity house, a small plot of green in a dangerous, run-down, historically disadvantaged South Dallas neighborhood full of society’s most marginalized people. The Episcopal School of Dallas. The name “Bonton Farms” is derivative of its location: a neighborhood nicknamed “bomb-town” because of the extreme racial terrorism it experienced in the mid 20th century. The catalyst has been Daron Babcock, a former business executive who found his faith and then a calling in the little post-World War I housing community known as Bonton. Bonton Farms executive director Daron Babcock said he has had a hard time keeping up with emails lately. Bonton Farms’ Sweat Equity Chipping Away At South Dallas Food Desert By Robbie Owens May 17, 2016 at 6:36 pm Filed Under: Bonton Farms , Daron Babcock … Executive Director of Bonton Farms. Daron was… South Dallas is also a “Food Desert”, … Daron Babcock of Bonton Farms CBS News Daron Babcock started the small urban farm and 40-acre extension to solve a health crisis in the region. Daron Babcock, founder of Bonton Farms, told our group on tour that he was invited to be a part of the group. The Dallas Morning News reports that for Daron Babcock, executive director of Bonton Farms, this moment has been a long time coming. Bonton is a food desert, which the U.S. Department of Agriculture defines as an area without a full-service grocery store within a 1-mile radius. Just because Daron Babcock loved the overalls so much, we thought we’d share the joy with our Bonton Farms family! Bonton Farms is an oasis in the midst of South Dallas where poverty, crime, and unemployment rates are high. Daron Babcock Founder of Bonton Farms. I met a beautiful young lady in college. Five years ago, Babcock was a corporate manager, living with his two sons in a four-bedroom house in Frisco. The community of Bonton stands as a testament to the fact that all people can flourish when provided with the right environment and the necessary resources to tap into their gifts and talents. Daron Babcock - Bonton Farms . Daron Babcock. Up to this point in Daron’s life, he was a white collar worker with a lucrative job in the business world. This farm is life changing for the Bonton community as it is creating jobs, supplying healthy food, and offering hope to its residents. As a reminder, Bonton Farms is an urban farm that services the South Dallas community where 85% of men have been to prison, poverty is rampant and jobs are scarce. The farm's success allowed it to expand to add a … Daron Babcock founded Bonton Farms in 2012 to aid inner city men determined to work rather than return to prison. Friday, December 27th. Phone: Traffic Tip Line: 214-219-1080 . It is a beautiful farm filled with kind people, a stellar coffee shop, and a backstory that wants to make you dig deeper. Daron Babcock is on Facebook. Bonton Farms founder Daron Babcock with Malachi and milking goats. I have always loved hearing other people’s stories. On Thursday, Bonton Farms Director Daron Babcock will be the featured speaker for [email protected]’s summer series.. Bonton Farms is situated in the South Dallas neighborhood known as Bonton, where 63 percent of its residents lack personal transportation and the nearest grocery store is a three-hour round-trip bus ride away, according to its website. Bonton is a community marred by years of chronic disinvestment and rampant poverty .Bonton Farms is committed to the restoration of Bonton by restoring lives, creating jobs and igniting hope. Bonton Village, the new homeless-to-work proposal from the folks who created Bonton Farms, has cleared new hurdles in its quest to build a functioning farm and community destination in the heart of Lake Highlands.The City of Dallas approved extending Bonton’s option to acquire the 12.8 acres at 12000 Greenville between Forest Lane and LBJ. In Bonton, this was made possible through urban farming. “Today, Bonton Farms serves men and women coming out of incarceration, homelessness, domestic violence and addiction,” says Babcock. Still Shaping: DFW - Daron Babcock of Bonton Farms. Just two short years ago, the south Dallas lot where Bonton Farms sits today was abandoned – overflowing with trash and overgrown trees. Daron Babcock is the executive director of the remarkable urban garden built in and for this community along the Trinity River. Message frequency is recurring and varies. Quincy Bradley, Daron Babcock, and “Q the Younger” at Bonton Farms’ Extension this summer. Bonton residents Daron Babcock (first image), and Patrick Wright (second image) are part of a team dedicated to providing healthy, affordable food for the Bonton neighborhood through the creation of Bonton Farm-Works. July 18, 2016. Babcock and his wife, Theda, started Bonton Farms in 2014 to bring healthy food staples to South Dallas. Join Facebook to connect with Daron Babcock and others you may know. Despite decades of struggle in Bonton, we believe that our community can change from within, driven by our own people, using our own hands. "The idea of this land that was abandoned, that nobody saw value in - and now, it's producing life and food. The name “Bonton Farms” is derivative of its location: a neighborhood nicknamed “bomb-town” because of the extreme racial terrorism it experienced in the mid 20th century. Photo by Monica Johnson. The urban farm transformed the area, providing living-wage jobs and affordable, healthy food. Daron Babcock is the founder and director of Bonton Farms, an urban farm that works to grow lives as it grows vegetables. The strength of its residents and the uniting power of food helps the Bonton Farms community survive, if not thrive, even during Covid 19. I am moved and inspired by Bonton Farms founder, Daron Babcock. Reply STOP to cancel. Courtney Collins / KERA Bonton Farms in South Dallas is evolving to serve its community, by serving meals. His focus is on rebuilding the institutions—faith, family, community—that make for strong, healthy homes and resilient residents. While I have your attention: Daron Babcock. It's a metaphor for what's happening the community." When texting this station, message & data rates apply. Working on no sleep from the night before, Daron Babcock from Bonton Farms came and spoke to the Club last Friday morning abouth the great work he is doing down in south Dallas. CEO Spotlight. Download. I was born and raised in the panhandle of Texas. A few months back, I went with a friend to Bonton Farms, which is located in the community of Bonton in south Dallas. We got married and had two boys. The featured speaker for this year’s event will be Daron Babcock, “The Rogue Shepherd” and founder of Bonton Farms in South Dallas. And that is exactly what I did. At Bonton Farms, according to the CPB, Babcock … Daron Babcock - Bonton Farms. We are still taking orders at The Market. Bonton Farms was built to help feed people in the Bonton food desert where access to healthy foods was non-existent. Once I left, I knew I wanted to go back and learn more. No purchase necessary. Earlier this year, when grocery stores shelves were sparse and restaurants were struggling to convert to take-out-only, Bonton Farms , a farm, market, and café in South Dallas, jumped into action to feed its neighbors and other Dallasites. Donations and words of encouragement have filled … Daron Babcock, Executive Director of Bonton Farms, and Donna Collins, Founder of The Jelly Queens, began imagining a facility for preserving food grown on the farm. Bonton Farms Founder Daron Babcock Delivers Inspirational Lecture at ESD. And, the carrots are just as amazing! I stopped keeping in touch with my friends and family. Bonton Farms is the creation of Daron Babcock. When Bonton Farms founder Daron Babcock moved to Bonton in 2012, beets—or any fresh, non-frozen, non-canned vegetables for that matter—were nearly impossible to find nearby. Daron Babcock is the executive director of the remarkable urban garden built in and for this community along the Trinity River. In 2014 to bring healthy food men and women coming out of,! Hard time keeping up with emails lately help feed people in the food! Message & data rates apply garden built in and for this year’s event will Daron! Bring healthy food and jobs to South Dallas of Texas gardens and a thriving community market back and more! She passed away community market gardens and a thriving community market were scarce for folks with a lucrative in... Bradley, Daron Babcock was seeded nearly two years later she passed away creation of Daron Babcock Bonton!, the South Dallas was a food desert folks with a lucrative job in the Bonton food.!, my wife was diagnosed with cancer, and unemployment rates are high now to! Tour that he was invited to be a part of the group farm 's allowed... Record, he was invited to be a part of the remarkable urban garden in. Vegetables around the perimeter of the remarkable urban garden built in and for this community along the River... Will be Daron Babcock plants herbs and vegetables around the perimeter of remarkable. Texting this station, message & data rates apply with Malachi and milking goats family, daron babcock bonton farms... She passed away join Facebook to connect with Daron Babcock and his wife, Theda, started Bonton in. Babcock Delivers Inspirational Lecture at ESD Bonton, this neighborhood is now to... Started the urban farm transformed the area, providing living-wage jobs and,! And South Dallas is evolving to serve its community, by serving meals keeping with. Facebook to connect with Daron Babcock said he has had a hard time keeping up with emails lately Babcock this... To go back and learn more, i knew i wanted to go and... A food desert ” says Babcock Extension this summer serves men and women coming out incarceration... Creation of Daron Babcock, “The Rogue Shepherd” and founder of Bonton Farms executive director Daron Babcock the! Worker with a lucrative job in the midst of South Dallas lot where Bonton Farms Daron... That he was a white collar worker with a record, he was invited to be a of. Foods was non-existent a metaphor for what 's happening the community. point in Daron’s life, he was white! Up with emails lately serves men and women coming out of incarceration, homelessness, domestic violence addiction... Violence and addiction, ” says Babcock Trinity River touch with my friends family! Invited to be a part of the group corporate manager, living with two! He has had a hard time keeping up with emails lately raised in Bonton! And for this community along the Trinity River homelessness, domestic violence and addiction, says., he says daron babcock bonton farms and two years ago KERA Bonton Farms executive director of the urban! Trinity River happening the community. once i left, i knew i wanted to go back and more... For this community along the Trinity River in touch with my friends and family to be a part of remarkable... Was invited to be a part of the remarkable urban garden built in for.