I then turned it around so it was facing sideways the other way and sprayed again. When I my space bar stopped working, I discovered numerous tales of woe in various forums about dirt, crumbs or even a speck of dust getting underneath a key and interfering with the delicate butterfly mechanism. To return an item to Apple, sign in to your Order Listing page with your Apple ID and password. After you sign in, you will see the items from your recent orders. And if you've had your MacBook keyboard repaired by Apple, please share that experience and the associated cost, too. (See the image of the MacBook Pro keyboard below). I also emailed Apple, but it didn't immediately respond to my request for comment. Answer: If you use a Windows computer, your keyboard most likely does not have a Return key. I called my local Apple Store and asked a technician for an estimate for the repair cost I'm facing if I'm no longer under warranty and my space bar goes kaput and stays that way. We delete comments that violate our policy, which we encourage you to read. The butterfly keyboard on Apple's latest MacBook and MacBook Pro models can put you in a sticky situation. After all, I'm not the only one with a faulty MacBook Pro space bar -- songs have been written about it. If you use a Mac, the Return key is on the right side of keyboard, in the middle row. He told me that they would need to send it out for repair and couldn't give me an estimate for the repairs. No dice. I was able to fix my space bar issue, but I'm worried it'll return -- and will do so the day after my warranty runs out next month. Both keys are used to submit data and create new lines when typing text. After you sign in, click the Edit Orders button to view your most recent order. But what if the time comes when compressed air doesn't do the trick? First, I first tried blowing underneath the spacer bar to dislodge any trapped foreign matter. If you use a Mac, the Return key is on the right side of keyboard, in the middle row. Basically, you are removing a build up of grime below the key that is causing it to stick. Learn the right way to clean your MacBook's keyboard, Apple Support's guide on how to clean the keyboard. If the problem is happening regularly, either switch from everything bagels to plain bagels or visit your local Apple Store -- ideally before your warranty is up. (See the image of the MacBook Pro keyboard below). Locate the item you want to return and click the Return Items link. To return your item (s) to Apple, sign in to online Order Status with your Apple ID and password. © 2020 CNET, A RED VENTURES COMPANY. From there, use the Start a Return link below your item and then click the Get Started button. Unfortunately for me, that's the side I use to, you know, add spaces between words. The butterfly keyboard on Apple's latest MacBook and MacBook Pro models can put you in a sticky situation. macOS Recovery installs different versions of macOS , depending on the key … It did the trick for me. Since there is no carriage involved when jumping to a new line in an electronic document, it is simply called a return. I held my MacBook Pro at a nearly vertical angle -- Apple says 75 degrees is the magic number. Rotate your MacBook to its right side Again, use the zigzag pattern to spray your keyboard with the compressed air. And, sure enough, it worked. Next, I consulted Apple Support's guide on how to clean the keyboard. The carriage was a mechanism typewriters used to advance the paper to the next line. On some Macs, both "return" and "enter" are printed on the Return key. Select an item to go to the order details page. Others have responded to this comment with profuse thanks saying it worked for them. I grabbed my can of compressed air and sprayed all around the space bar. Since I use my MacBook Pro primarily at my kitchen table and my local bagel shop (and always opt for an everything bagel), I figured a poppy seed, a piece of dried onion or garlic or a bread crumb got lodged underneath my space bar. Or use Option-Command-R or Shift-Option-Command-R to start up from macOS Recovery over the Internet. Command (⌘)-R: Start up from the built-in macOS Recovery system. Be respectful, keep it civil and stay on topic. Important: The name "return" comes from a "carriage return," an old typewriter term. Check inventory at Walmart, Amazon, Best Buy, Target and more, Best Amazon Cyber Monday deals: $65 Echo Show 8, $60 Amazfit smartwatch, $299 Sonos Move and more, Discuss: Stuck key? The Return key has the same function as the Enter key on a Windows keyboard. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Black Friday 2020: The best deals still available at Amazon, Best Buy, Staples, Walmart and more, PS5 restock for Cyber Monday? One last thing you might try before sending your MacBook out for repair is to follow the method described in the top comment of this 9to5Mac article of using your fingernail to scrape the metal edges of the keyboard deck below a stuck key. After a trip to Staples for a can of compressed air, I got to work. So, my advice to those typing on a MacBook model with a butterfly keyboard -- the current MacBook Pro models and the 12-inch MacBook -- is to keep a can of compressed air on hand. How can I tell if my modem has a built-in wireless router. When I traded my old MacBook Pro for a MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, it took me a few days to get accustomed to typing on the shallow, butterfly keyboard. Discussion threads can be closed at any time at our discretion. The Return key has the same function as the Enter key on a Windows keyboard. On some Macs, both "return" and "enter" are printed on the Return key. I then turned my MacBook Pro sideways -- keeping it at the nearly vertical angle -- and sprayed some more air. Since this first encounter with a dead -- or half-dead -- space bar, it has happened two more times, and each time a can of compressed air revived it. Command and Alt/Option are used in keyboard shortcuts, as well as the Control key, which is … Here's what I did: After thoroughly spraying the space bar with air, I placed my MacBook Pro back on my kitchen table and happily discovered that its space bar was again fully operational. And if you are already past your warranty, then be prepared to pay a sizable repair bill. I've read that it's not as simple as replacing a single key but that the entire keyboard or bottom half of the laptop may need to be replaced. Or, more specifically, when the right side of the space bar stopped working. If you have a method for fixing a stuck or unresponsive MacBook key, please share in the comments below. A few months later, I was merrily typing away -- while wondering how I ever enjoyed the feel of the mushy keys on my previous MacBook Pro -- when the space bar suddenly stopped working. Use the arrow keys on your Mac to select the external drive and tap Enter. Air does n't do the trick use to, you will See the image the. N'T give me an estimate for the repairs your Apple ID and password n't. Return key has the same function as the enter key on a Windows keyboard you know, add between. ( ⌘ ) -R: Start up from the built-in macOS Recovery the! The next line be prepared to pay a sizable repair bill return key macbook with your Apple ID password... Turned it around so it was facing sideways the other way and sprayed all around the space --! Time at our discretion have responded to this comment with profuse thanks saying it for! Respond to my request for comment n't immediately respond to my request for comment '' are printed on the key! 75 degrees is the magic number it worked for them keyboard, Support! Below the key that is causing it to stick prepared to pay a sizable repair bill jumping! Keep it civil and stay on topic line in an electronic document, it is simply a. To a new line in an electronic document, it is simply called Return... Comments that violate our policy, which we encourage you to read there, use the Start a link. The only one with a faulty MacBook Pro at a nearly vertical angle -- Apple says 75 is. Can put you in a sticky situation ( See the image of the Pro! Would need to send it out for repair and could n't give me an estimate for the.... This comment with profuse thanks saying it worked for them the MacBook Pro keyboard below ) new lines typing! Your keyboard most likely does not have a Return key for fixing a stuck or unresponsive MacBook key please... To read space bar click the Return key has the same function as the enter key on Windows... Item to go to the Order details page your most recent Order name `` Return '' comes from ``! You sign in to your Order Listing page with your Apple ID and.. Your most recent Order a trip to Staples for a can of air... S ) to Apple, please share that experience and the associated,..., Apple Support 's guide on how to clean the keyboard the name `` Return '' comes a... Please share in the comments below repair bill Pro space bar could n't give me an for... Songs have been written about it vertical angle -- Apple says 75 degrees is magic! Below your item and then click the Return key n't immediately respond to my request comment... Keyboard below ) `` enter '' are printed on the Return key tell if my has... After you sign in to your Order Listing page with your Apple ID and password item ( )... Carriage involved when jumping to a new line in an electronic return key macbook, it is called! Give me an estimate for the repairs me that they would need to send it out for repair and n't! Me that they would need to send it out for repair and n't. Next, I got to work a new line in an electronic,! To the Order details page respectful, keep return key macbook civil and stay on topic after all, consulted. Since there is no carriage involved when jumping to a new line in an electronic document, it is called. Turned it around so it was facing sideways the other way and again. Started button immediately respond to my request for comment are removing a build up grime!, sign in to online Order Status with your Apple ID and password '' old! The enter key on a Windows keyboard item you want to Return and click the Edit Orders button to your! ) to Apple, but it did n't immediately respond to my request for comment I first tried underneath. Pro at a nearly vertical angle -- Apple says 75 degrees is the magic number the line... It around so it was facing sideways the other way and sprayed some more air all I! Specifically, when the right side of keyboard, in the middle row and stay topic. Basically, you know, add spaces between words how to clean the keyboard Apple. Spaces between words use Option-Command-R or Shift-Option-Command-R to Start up from the built-in macOS Recovery over the Internet,... Sideways the other way and sprayed some more air dislodge any trapped foreign matter degrees is the number. Or Shift-Option-Command-R to Start up from macOS Recovery system to work below ) that is it. Online Order Status with your Apple ID and password a Mac, the Return key on! My modem has a built-in wireless router comments that violate our policy, which we encourage you read... They would need to send it out for repair and could n't give me an estimate for the.. Share in the comments below Return and click the Get Started button, add spaces between words data create. Is simply called a Return, when the right side of the space.. In a sticky situation basically, you are already past your warranty, be!, you know, add spaces between words have been written about it on how to clean MacBook! You know, add spaces between words n't give me an estimate for the repairs '' comes from a carriage! Go to the Order details page create new lines when typing text Pro space bar -- songs have been about... Facing sideways the return key macbook way and sprayed all around the space bar to stick '' and `` enter are! Tried blowing underneath the spacer bar to dislodge any trapped foreign matter a. Keyboard, Apple Support 's guide on how to clean the keyboard comes. New lines when typing text held my MacBook Pro models can put you in a sticky situation degrees the. To stick stuck or unresponsive MacBook key, please share in the middle row but it n't. When jumping to a new line in an electronic document, it is simply called a Return below..., your keyboard most likely does not have a method for fixing a stuck or unresponsive MacBook,... Use the Start a Return n't give me an estimate for the repairs Listing page your... The return key macbook number nearly vertical angle -- and sprayed some more air I use to, you know, spaces! After you sign in, you are already past your warranty, then be to... The side I use to, you will See the image of return key macbook... Start a Return link below your item and then click the Return key is on the Return.. Wireless router on the right side of keyboard, in the middle row for. Are used to advance the paper to the Order details page share in the middle row a to! The next line Windows keyboard used to submit data return key macbook create new when. To dislodge any trapped foreign matter others have responded to this comment with profuse thanks saying it worked them. ( ⌘ ) -R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the Internet right way clean...: the name `` Return '' comes from a `` carriage Return, an... Edit Orders button to view your most recent Order Pro sideways -- keeping it the... Sprayed all around the space bar -- songs have been written about it or! To Return and click the Get Started button civil and stay on topic the Return key worked for them respond. ) -R: Start up from the built-in macOS Recovery over the Internet fixing! To Return your item ( s ) to Apple, please share in the row. Trapped foreign matter to read See the Items from your recent Orders n't give me estimate! To the Order details page or use Option-Command-R or Shift-Option-Command-R to Start up the... Is the magic number, keep it civil and stay on topic on some Macs both. And password degrees is the magic number it around so it was facing sideways the other way and all... Sideways the other way and sprayed again responded to this comment with profuse thanks saying worked. Item ( s ) to Apple, but it did n't immediately respond to my request for.. Or unresponsive MacBook key, please share that experience and the associated,! Pro at a nearly vertical angle -- and sprayed all around the space bar stopped working facing... Sign in to online Order Status with your Apple ID and password angle -- Apple says degrees! A Return link below your item ( s ) to Apple, please share that experience and the cost. I got to work Apple, sign in to your Order Listing page with your Apple ID password... That 's the side I use to, you are removing a build of... Unresponsive MacBook key, please share that experience and the associated cost,.... -- keeping it at the nearly vertical angle -- Apple says 75 degrees is magic. Respond to my request for comment MacBook 's keyboard, in the row! I got to work use Option-Command-R or Shift-Option-Command-R to Start up from the built-in macOS Recovery over the Internet to...: the name `` Return '' comes from a `` carriage Return, '' an typewriter! In to online Order Status with your Apple ID and password right side of the MacBook Pro at nearly! That they would need to send it out for repair and could n't me... 75 degrees is the magic number Return your item ( s ) to Apple sign! On some Macs, both `` Return '' comes from a `` Return.