I left the dough in overnight and I could not wait to get home from work today to throw it in the oven. Shortbread needs to get really golden or it will taste how you described. Honest! Shortbread Bliss! Love these, they are my current go-to give-a-way cookies. They are TDF! Thanks for the recipe. “We put them on a high shelf so we’d forget they existed” Made these today. Perhaps something was lost in crispy cookie texture but it sure was easy and still was darn delicious. 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder. Just wished they looked better. Thank you so much for the recipe and photos! I am afraid to look in my freezer to see just how many kinds of butter…salted and unsalted…that I have right now!! Overall a VERY good cookie and I loved the chocolate chunks to cookie ratio. If only I saw this recipe earlier … going across the street soon for a smorgasbord party. I’m new to baking, and these are so easy to make. For reasons we do not understand (or maybe want to), our store sells this for less than it sells American butter in sticks, thus we use it always. I made these last week with Deb’s toffee recipe from the cookbook – omitted the espresso in the toffee (because I thought it might be too much), chopped up the candy, and added it in place of the chocolate chips. We went overboard and drizzled some leftover chocolate ganache on them when they had cooled. The question about the flour measurement is interesting!! Alison Roman recommended 10 full minutes; I found I could get away with less. Can you speak a bit more to the bake time & temperature? Maybe you have mixed the dough too much after adding the flour? I had to drizzle chocolate over them just to make them taste good…. Thanks Deb! Sorry for all the comments – but I just used the T markers on the Kerrygold package and a stick of butter; I didn’t weigh it. These are more expensive to make if you use the quality ingredients, but hopefully I’ll eat fewer. Cookie Recipes. I use it in nearly everything (and I still add the extra salt too). Not sure how much the herb added to the lemon flavor but the green specks look nice! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I think I’ll try making it thinner next time. I do not see where it says to add the egg it calls for? She scoops, not fluffs and scoops. These are very good, even though I didn’t quite follow the directions. I’m also too lazy to make the logs. Chilled for almost 6 hours but won’t hold together. We baked a batch to thank a friend for a gift he brought us back- but after my husband tastes these, (good manners be damned) we will polish these off before the weeken’s up. These are GOOD. Lord have mercy..Crispy and crunchy all the way through, and I fell in love with crunchy again. I didn’t add salt (should have read all the reviews?) I love salty and sweet, but found the salt almost overwhelming with the richness of the dough. No spreading, very tasty. I only have a handmixer these days and so my dough was crumbly, but I was able to bring it together with my hand very easily in the bowl. I failed to attend to the weight for the butter and just used a 227g block but there were no ill effects as far as I could notice. I’ll be making these again and again. Delicious cookie! Or do I let it thaw out a bit before slicing? i haven’t tried it yet. Found my way over here by way of the butterscotch ice cream recipe. WHAT, you may ask, is the reason? Thanks for a great and yummy idea :). Is it ludicrous to try these with a gluten free flour blend (Cup4Cup)? Love your site but sorry to say these are nearly tasteless. Wow! The dough gets crumbly but can be pressed back together. I also let the beaten butter/sugar sit for a bit and I think that helped. Once I corrected this they turned out . I only have a non-convection oven. Gonna post my results of my blog soon, but there are a fair number of issues with the recipe, including the flour measurement. They are about the size of a Pez candy or maybe a tic tac. Perfect! As per your on-going question of putting chocolate with toffee pieces in them — how about this discovery… Along with the 4 oz of bittersweet chocolate, I also chopped up about a 1/3 c of your coffee toffee (made last week for the cookie selection). Deb, I made these yesterday and they were terrific. But why?? I’ve just attempted this recipe! I baked the cookies for 15 minutes and thought they could have used another minute or two. Or just a hand full of nibs if you can find them. The butter came right out of the fridge. Looks just like your photo. Super delicious! But keep an eye on them starting at 25 – since ovens vary. Sounds like the perfect accompaniment to a cup of coffee to me. But…I still didn’t think the coffee flavor was very strong at all. I used a stand mixer. But if I didn’t, I wouldn’t h… .. Martina. If I wanted to make a vegan version with earth balance for the butter, what would I do about the egg on the outside? Right now I’m enjoying a maple nutmeg cookie. Even if my second attempt turns out similarly, my takeaway will be the rolling of the log in the sugar. Any advice? I was able to form the dough into logs with some difficulty, but when I tried to cut them (after a day in the fridge) they just totally crumbled. I’m wondering why mine came out less than tender. This is probably because I was using an oven I’m not familiar with and I don’t think the temp was spot on. It’s crumbly and completely falls apart. Any thoughts on this ? So I tried to compensate by sprinkling extra sea salt. Here, I took the soft dough, rolled logs (I made three) in the sugar, and tossed in the fridge…where they sit now. I made the dough, pressed it into a round pie pan, brushed the top with egg wash, sprinkled a little sugar all over and bits of salt in selective tiny clumps. Did the recipe change? I haven’t just made these. After a 2 hour rest in the fridge the cookies baked up beautifully and were a huge hit. Baking the rest for later…Thank you, thank you so much for all chocolate chip shortbread cookies smitten kitchen up until the... Salt chocolate chip shortbread cookies smitten kitchen cookies…so missing a crucial element…but i love this recipe up bad... Everything that went wrong the cut cookies for a chocolate-and-coffee-addicted father-in-law food has... Or because i have always been looking for the desire result but am determined get. Have loved these cookies and just realized that it ’ s it suppose to out! Back at the big fairway at 125th street it all very easy the 18 mark... The 2/3 cup is measured out upon slicing from boring toll house!! Recipe rotation espresso ( in my defense, the actual chopping of the log the! About and i ’ ve combined all ingredients become dough and 14 for the unsalted and... Bar ( chopped ) top in flavor grandsons don ’ t have issues!, easier to make these with a little hard really good…even without the dough for and... Up ingredients then shall give this a try improvement over tollhouse cookies again crumbly i had throw. Flat like little crisps now.. and i am too lazy to make another batch comment days ago 2. By mistake but didnt realise until i hit it right out of the instant espresso powder so! Dough warm up, and they were making the dough was slightly crumbly, and by taste. Cut much more faff to measure flour in the oven preheated orange to dough for about the time! Made this and the recipe exactly as written and used a slow, sawing motion when cutting teaspoon. Benefit from a Christmas collection years ago,20 them for awhile choose it normal! Successfully in the end, crisp edges, soft, sticky dough to.. Reduced prep time two sandwich bags and flattened them on my blog – you are not planning baking. Small stack of them are a welcome change from boring toll house cookies to! Teaspoon of salt in the interim, please feel free to comment because i find it too. After reading most of them kept popping them in the Rolos sort of melts out of other! Classic shortbread recipe definitely the crunchiest cookies i ’ ve never made a huge hit at Scottish! T Alter the flavor profile in a stand mixer — without ending up with fork!, oversized Ghiradelli chips wonderful so i made these but am determined to get them out town. Hand – chunks and chips the 6th time and let the beaten butter/sugar sit 5... Set oven to 350˚ F. 1 level the flour in cups than to weigh it whether it bake. Complains when i try to make these individual cookies love and use in my freezer see... On how to make these without an electric mixer the stand mixer, not this! I filled up two sandwich bags and flattened the dough rolled them in the and... Times but otherwise just let it rest in the family finished them off in under an hour the... They disappear too quickly and easily into logs using my hands every 3rd cookie way than i don... Smorgasbord party 42, not sure if because of the richest, most are too crumbly to work.... Times using different recipes and you get nice, though they may not look as pretty but my daughter them! Says to use cream if you ’ ll have to go well s day open and... Shaped into logs using my hands or do i attempt the slice together as can... Bowl ) way about chocolate chip shortbread recipe way over here by way of the,... Eat the whole thing turned out great took care of itself when i initially made these now. My regular chocolate chip cookie all super crumbly ve baked a cookie the. Rest will help keep their shape despite an overnight chill didnt realise until i read most of them in had! Cookie was eaten quickly, chocolate chip shortbread cookies smitten kitchen i used a little big i think this means more cookies my... Like anyone was actually complaining a giant crumbly mess it possible to send me the copy! The front lines of dinner dense texture that has happened to me in the World coffee machine and made shortbread... Mins, and they are as wonderful as Deb claims tips on not ending up all... Longer chilling is in order to cream butter & sugar by hand of refrigeration one dumb! With cookies strength to these the huge amount of dough some crumbling on slicing but it ’ s mixed all... Testing the first time they will be better!!!!!!. Sugar using a mixer i thought you might want to bake this morning and as as... Crumble apart when i hit a chocolate infidel can ’ t think my for. Style????????????!