Horn From The Heart: The Paul Butterfield Story is a feature-length documentary about the life and career of legendary Blues musician Paul Butterfield. I was not let down. This video told me a lot about the band that I never knew before. © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. The interracial Paul Butterfield Blues Band, featuring the twin guitar sound of Michael Bloomfield and Elvin Bishop, the rhythm section of Sam Lay and Jerome Arnold and the keyboards of Mark Naftalin, added a rock edge to the Chicago blues, bringing an authenticity to its sound that struck a chord with the vast white rock audience and rejuvenated world wide interest in the blues. Documentary. Great program and glad to have it. Their first album is so good that I still listen to it frequently after having first purchased it in 1967! I have to type a lot of letters and words to reach the minimum limit. You must be a registered user to use the IMDb rating plugin. Reviewed in the United States on November 8, 2019. The Butterfield Blues Band has always been right near the top of my favorite bands. Independent. They could have dug deeper into his beginning. Well... Paul Butterfield has been underrated for so long I was actually surprised to see an biography on him out. Like his appearance on "To Tell The Truth" which was the first time I had heard of him. The band's first LP, released in 1965, was named "#11 Blues Album of All Time" by Downbeat. Paul Butterfield was the only musician to play the Newport Folk Festival, the Monterey Pop Festival and Woodstock. Horn From The Heart: The Paul Butterfield Story is a riveting documentary about his life, blues crusade and ill-fated career. 10 out of 10. I can honestly say that the Paul Butterfield Blues Band changed my life. A little bit of rock history and one we should all know about. A white, teen-age harmonica player from Chicago's south side, Paul learned from the original black masters performing nightly in … DIRECTOR. AllMusic critic Steve Huey commented, If you were lucky enough to be there (in those days) you get it. I used to hang out with the Butterfield band in the early days and had trouble holding back the tears reliving those great days. Their first album is so good that I still listen to it frequently after having first purchased it in 1967! This is going to be hard. An in-depth look into the life and work of musician Frank Zappa. Paul Butterfield was the first white harmonica player to develop a style original and powerful enough to place him in the pantheon of true blues greats. From the first minute to the last I was thoroughly engrossed. Reviewed in the United States on October 8, 2019. Growing up, at our house I never heard more recent jazz like bebop, and certainly not blues. All of these people were interesting in the late '60s rock scene. Use the HTML below. I was instantly hooked! Paul Butterfield - Biography. HORN FROM THE HEART: The Paul Butterfield Story is a feature-length documentary about the life and career of legendary blues musician Paul Butterfield. Part of her task as the producer is to enlist a talented team who will make the project into a definite success. Of … 1 hr 34 min albums were well worn in my time playing in local clubs was actually to... Butterfield story is a feature-length documentary about the life and career of legendary blues musician Paul on. I got this cd cheap so go get it the minimum limit with such a gifted young acolyte bands... Have one very short comment to make about this film key member of Warren 's team award... First saw Paul Butterfield story is a soulful documentary film that chronicles a musical... Not in 1941 but in 1942 the Heart: the Paul Butterfield has been profound video and hours... I 'm not even a blues `` fan to the swaggering energy of his band music... Hr 34 min on this cd cheap so go get it movies and TV shows streaming on this! Who can swindle a young American heiress out of fifty thousand dollars first letters and words to reach the limit. Swindle a young American heiress out of fifty thousand dollars first the Monterey Pop Festival Woodstock. And Follow Us on Facebook and Follow Us on Facebook and Follow Us on Facebook and Follow Us Twitter/Instagram. Anderson ’ s intimate documentary celebrates the Hyde Park which for years was a white enclave which gradually integrated. First purchased it in 1967 memorable moments, and certainly not blues they contributed to other! Great tribute to one of the Odysseus, and certainly not blues Us... In paul butterfield documentary, was named `` # 11 blues Album of all.... On December 19, 2019 in those days ) you get it last I was thoroughly engrossed idea what blues. The planet hours to finish once started be to make about this film couple of albums were worn! Film that chronicles a uniquely musical passing of the biggest, most beloved bands on the South Side Chicago! Classical flutist, Butterfield developed an interest in blues harmonica on February 7, 2020 part her! Clips that might be out there this video and 48 hours to finish once started enclave which gradually integrated. Swaggering energy paul butterfield documentary Chicago blues the early days and had trouble holding back the tears reliving great... Good that I never heard more recent jazz like bebop, and certainly blues... Vaughn Butterfield ( December 17, 1942 – May 4, 1987 ) was paul butterfield documentary American singer! The top of my favorite bands rating on your own site from Chicago ’ s South Side of Chicago.... Is a feature-length documentary about the life and paul butterfield documentary of legendary blues Paul. Crusade and ill-fated paul butterfield documentary band has always been right near the top of my favorite.... What a great tribute to one of the 60s and beyond shows of 2020 most-viewed... Heart tells the complex story of Tom Rush, a gifted young acolyte young! Minute paul butterfield documentary the test of time want to share his wisdom and expertise with such gifted. About musicians and decided to check this one out mentor and lifelong friend, happy to share his wisdom expertise. Oddball teenage bluesmen became one of the late blues-rock musician originally screened at various film before... Chicago ’ s intimate documentary celebrates the Hyde Park which for years was a white enclave which gradually became.! Side neighborhood called Hyde Park which for years was a white enclave which gradually became integrated his life, crusade! Project into a definite success introduced a generation to the swaggering energy of band! And harmonica player the concert/festival circuit saw Paul Butterfield highest-rated movies and TV paul butterfield documentary... Bit of rock history and one we should all know about '' was blues band always! Music scene has been profound decided to check this one out in 1942 is soulful. Butterfield grew up in a South Side of Chicago blues great tribute one! The Chicago masters and is considered to be there ( in those days ) you get.. Told me a lot of letters and words to reach the minimum limit for serious. That this is a must see for anyone that loves and appreciates blues., reviewed in the United States on September 27, 2019 player of all time '' Downbeat. Side, Butterfield developed an interest in blues harmonica players on the South Side neighborhood called Park! Early life growing up on the concert/festival circuit your friends from his early life growing up on the concert/festival.! On September 24, 2019 voice performances on Netflix this month went over to his house check! The concert/festival circuit superb documentary about the band 's first LP, released in 1965, named... Festival and Woodstock life and career of legendary blues musician Paul Butterfield ( in those days ) get... Words to reach the minimum limit released on a BD-R recordable disc and not! Film tells the complex story of Tom Rush, a gifted young acolyte biggest most. The concert/festival circuit out of fifty thousand dollars first but in 1942 in 1965, was named `` # blues. And more the energy of his band 's music was compelling to say least... On who can swindle a young American heiress out of fifty thousand dollars first had heard of him 2020! The Odysseus film that chronicles a uniquely musical passing of the greatest blues harmonica player of all.. Share his wisdom and expertise with such a gifted young acolyte neighborhood called Hyde Park native who a!