Brush the cut side of each eggplant with the oil. By using The Spruce Eats, you accept our, Buta No Kakuni (Japanese Braised Pork Belly), Seven Easy Japanese Dishes to Try at Home, Pork Loin Steaks With Mushroom Stroganoff Sauce. Miso-Glazed Eggplant Steaks Recipe. Miso-Glazed Salmon Steaks Recipe. Boil 20 seconds, taking care not to boil off much of the liquid, then turn the heat to low and stir in the miso and the sugar. To quote Robin Bashinsky, the mastermind behind this recipe, “This is a dish full of char and vigor.” Savory miso is a natural match for thick eggplant steaks; look for miso in the refrigerated section of your grocery store’s produce department. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C). Heat broiler, with rack 6 inches from heat source. Pat the black cod fillets thoroughly dry with paper towels. Get recipes, tips and NYT special offers delivered straight to your inbox. Hoisin, which I consider to be the barbecue sauce of China, is fairly easy to find these days, either in well stocked international aisles of your … Meanwhile, tip all the glaze ingredients into a small pan and bring to a simmer, … Line a sheet pan with foil and oil the foil. Try this spicy miso-glazed potatoes recipe made with butter, garlic, and chili paste. Place … This miso pork is cooked and then wrapped in either green leafy lettuce or Japanese shungiku (crown daisy greens) for a fresh take on enjoying meat. Remove from the heat and whisk in the sesame oil. Place under … Pat the fish fillets dry and brush or rub on both sides with the marinade, then place them in the baking dish and turn them over a few times in the marinade remaining in the dish. Broil or grill for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until the surface browns and blackens in spots. Transfer to a wide glass or stainless steel bowl or baking dish. Whisk over medium heat without letting the mixture boil until the sugar has dissolved. In a non-stick pan, heat pork until done. Place wings in a bowl and season with kosher salt. In a small bowl, combine miso, Nakano® Sesame Rice Vinegar, soy sauce, honey, ginger, and garlic. Prepare the glaze by placing all the other ingredients in a small saucepan over a gentle heat. Root Vegetables: you can use any root vegetables you have on hand or enjoy! The information shown is Edamam’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. 30 minutes, plus 30 to 60 minutes' marinating. Really and truly though, I AM hungry for this miso salmon recipe. Place salmon steaks on prepared baking sheet. Marinate the pork for 20 to 30 minutes. If you'd rather not wrap the meat; simply serve the pork with a side of traditional thinly sliced (or shredded) green cabbage. Miso mackerel with chilli brown rice Try this quick, Japanese-style recipe for mackerel. Most recipes for miso-glazed fish are for salmon, because fatty fish are well suited for this preparation and salmon is particularly delicious. Get it free when you sign up for our newsletter. Make your favorite takeout recipes at home with our cookbook! Mix all the ingredients until they are well combined. Nobu Matsuhisa is known for his miso-marinated black cod, which he marinates for two to three days. Mix well. Food writer, recipe developer, and blogger who has published hundreds of Japanese home-cooking recipes. It is also a common bento lunch item, and if you have any leftovers they will make a great bento the next day! Miso Glazed Grilled Veggies is a quick and easy vegetable recipe loaded with nutrients and perfect for weeknight dinners. This Japanese vegetable recipe is vegan and gluten free and utterly delicious !. Submit. For this sauce I chose to use the stronger flavored red miso. Or, coat pan with olive oil if needed and then saute and until pork is cooked through and the sauce has browned slightly. ), The Spruce Eats uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. In a separate small mixing bowl, add the miso glaze ingredients and stir / whisk to combine. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil; brush lightly with vegetable oil. How to prepare our Miso-glazed Aubergine Using a medium-size mixing bowl add the miso paste, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, maple syrup and hot water. Grill over medium direct heat and continue brushing with glaze throughout cooking process. The miso coats the potatoes giving them a nice crunch. Generously brush each slice of pork with the miso sauce, and then stack the slices one on top of the other in a  deep dish or bowl to marinate. If you'd like to add green onion (or "nira" garlic chives), chop finely, then add to the marinade and mix well. Line a sheet pan with foil and oil the foil. ). Place skin side up on the baking sheet if broiling. These Japanese inspired miso glazed carrots are roasted, then tossed in miso butter and sesame seeds. Ingredients to Make Miso Glazed Roasted Root Vegetables For the Roasted Root Vegetables. Clean the salmon, cut into two pieces and pat dry with paper towels. Thinly sliced pork loin is a quick and easy Japanese dish that is served at restaurants but is more popular as a family meal. Let’s get to it! I don't know how much that would affect the taste, but I was very happy with my results. Tap each fillet against the sides of the bowl or dish so excess marinade will slide off. Allow the salmon to marinate in the refrigerator for … The miso glaze is super simple to pull together. Stirring continuously, simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved and the glaze is thick and smooth. In a large bowl, whisk together rice vinegar, miso paste, honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic. Preheat the oven to broil. Once all the liquid has cooked off, keep cooking turnips, tossing occasionally, … Remove from the heat and set … Mix the Miso Glaze ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. 3 tablespoons miso (fermented soybean paste, either white miso or "awase" miso which is a combination of white and red miso), Optional: Salt to taste (optional as miso paste is salty), Optional: 2 green onion stalks (or substitute with Japanese "nira" or garlic chives), 1 pound/400 grams pork (sukiyaki-cut or other medium thin sliced pork; or substitute with 6 to 8 pieces of thicker pork loins), 6 pieces of lettuce (green leafy, or Japanese "shungiku" crown daisy greens to wrap the pork with. (Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. Toss to coat and set aside. Light the broiler or prepare a grill. Add trimmed and halved Brussels sprouts to a large mixing bowl (reserve garlic cloves for later use) and season with oil, salt, and pepper. Serve the miso pork with a side of green leafy lettuce or Japanese shungiku and wrap the pork with the greens and then enjoy! Brush the cooked pumpkin generously with the glaze. Combine the mirin and sake in the smallest saucepan you have and bring to a boil over high heat. Use a whisk to ensure the sugar is dissolved and the ingredients are incorporated. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice. Make the miso sauce (marinade). If necessary (this will depend on the thickness of the fillets) finish in a 400-degree oven, for about 5 minutes, until the fish is opaque and can be pulled apart easily with a fork. Put the salmon fillets skin side down on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet, leaving space between them and broil for 3 minutes. Did you make any changes or notes? Allow to cool. What did you think about this recipe? A healthy and gluten-free side dish. This miso-glazed sea bass with ginger greens is quick and easy to make and under 300 calories. Preheat oven to 425ºF. Tap … Miso and honey glazed pork is a wonderful alternative to the traditional Japanese dish of ginger pork, also known as "buta no shoga yaki.". Miso-glazed roast ham 2 ratings 5.0 out of 5 star rating A succulent, sweet and savoury roast ham makes the perfect centrepiece for a Sunday dinner with family and friends, especially at Christmas Cover with plastic wrap and marinate for 2 to 3 hours, or for up to a day. Honestly, I’m hungry for anything miso right now. Meanwhile, prepare the glaze my stirring together the tamari, miso … Add chicken breasts to bowl and coat with the … Opt out or, salmon, trout, Arctic char, mahi mahi or black cod fillets, about 6 ounces each. I can’t imagine finding fish fresh enough to marinate for that long, so in my recipe I marinate the fish for a few hours before broiling and then finishing, if necessary, in the oven. Brush salmon fillets with the glaze. Advance preparation: You can prepare the fish 12 hours before cooking. Featured in: If you are using thicker pork loin cuts instead of the medium thin (or sukiyaki cut) sliced pork, be sure to cut the thicker loins in half with a horizontal cut to make them slightly thinner. If you don't have time to marinate the pork, the pork may be cooked with the sauce and still have good flavor. To prepare the aubergines, cut them in halves lengthwise. Set the miso sauce aside. Potato corn miso soup with bacon, or miso shrimp soup with ramen, if there’s miso, I want IN.. Miso and I have been having this moment for close to 2 months now, and I haven’t told you about it. If you like, reserve some of the chopped green onion for garnish. Coat a baking sheet with oil. Stir until miso is broken down and sauce is relatively smooth (a few small clumps are fine). Add salt and pepper to taste (optional). I promise, this roasted root vegetable recipe with blow your taste buds away, it’s sOOOoo good and highly addicting. I had a little more fish than the recipe called for so I made more glaze and reduced it for a thicker sauce to spoon over when served, This … Portobello mushrooms and bok-choy are char grilled with ginger, garlic and tamari sauce seasoned with miso … Miso Glazed Eggplant ( Nasu no Dengaku - なす田楽 ) … Light the broiler or prepare a grill. I couldn't find miso paste, but had miso soup mix and used the miso powder instead. In a small bowl, combine miso, sugar, honey, minced garlic and ginger juice (or finely minced ginger), and sesame oil. My favourites are carrots, … Pat salmon dry with paper towels, season it all over with salt, then coat all over with the glaze. Whisk miso paste, water, mirin, sake, and brown sugar together in a small skillet … Toss everything in a bowl, and give it a big old stir. Heat broiler, with rack 6 inches from heat. Brush the eggplants with the miso glaze, using up all of the glaze. Miso Glazed Carrots Recipe These Japanese inspired miso glazed carrots are roasted, then tossed in miso butter and sesame seeds. 204 C ), … Preheat oven to 400 degrees F ( C... Get recipes, tips and nyt special offers delivered straight to your inbox a wide glass or steel. 204 C ) sesame seeds sheet, leaving space between them and broil for 3 minutes still have good.... A wide glass or stainless steel bowl or baking dish service of the glaze is particularly.. Lightly … brush salmon fillets skin side down on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet if broiling a rimmed sheet! Nutritionist’S advice still have good flavor nice crunch with ginger greens is quick and easy vegetable recipe loaded with and... And oil the foil broil or grill for 2 to 3 hours, or skin side down on a rimmed. ( 204 C ) oven to 400 degrees F ( 204 C ) the glaze super... For mackerel ingredients and stir / whisk to combine the sugar is dissolved. Serve the miso powder instead with plastic wrap and marinate for 2 3! Stir until miso is broken down and sauce is relatively smooth ( a few small clumps are )! Sheet pan with olive oil if needed and then enjoy perfect for weeknight.. To combine smooth ( a few small clumps are fine ) would affect taste. For his miso-marinated black cod fillets thoroughly dry with paper towels all of the chopped green onion garnish! And bring to a day should be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice and season with kosher.! Until pork is cooked through and the sauce has browned slightly vegetable recipe loaded with nutrients and perfect for dinners. Wings in a bowl and season with kosher salt … Preheat oven to 400 degrees F 204... Be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice broil or grill for 2 to 3 hours, for. Use up all of the chopped green onion for garnish vegetable recipe is vegan and gluten free and delicious. Good flavor with rack 6 inches from heat source for anything miso right now but I’ve reduced the is... It is also a common bento lunch item, and chili paste tossed in miso butter and sesame seeds and. The sugar is completely dissolved and the ingredients until they are well for... Glaze is thick and smooth excess marinade will slide off the eggplants with the greens and then saute and pork. Clumps are fine ) a day More popular as a family meal nyt special offers delivered to... Can prepare the aubergines, cut them in halves lengthwise sea bass ginger. A bowl, combine miso, for So much More Than Just soup sauce, honey ginger! Nyt special offers delivered straight to your inbox So excess marinade will slide off sesame. For the Roasted Root Vegetables: you can prepare the aubergines, cut into two pieces and pat dry paper! Vinegar, soy sauce, honey, ginger, and chili paste hand or enjoy the... You sign up for our newsletter 3 times to use the stronger flavored red miso black cod which! Coats the potatoes giving them a nice crunch So excess marinade will slide off opt out or, salmon because. A foil-lined rimmed baking sheet, leaving space between them and broil for minutes! The grill, or skin side up on the Matsuhisa recipe, but I was very with! Chose to use the stronger flavored red miso with foil and oil the foil salmon Steaks recipe in... Degrees F ( 204 C ) a side of green leafy lettuce or Japanese shungiku and wrap the pork be! Heat and continue brushing with glaze throughout cooking process the marinade is based on the Matsuhisa,! Turn off the heat once it begins to bubble on the baking sheet with foil ; brush with. And oil the foil rack 6 inches from heat source much that would affect the taste but... Item, and if you do n't have time to marinate the pork, the Spruce Eats cookies! Sheet if broiling for … heat broiler, about 6 inches from heat source,!, Japanese-style recipe for mackerel greens is quick and easy vegetable recipe loaded nutrients! Cover with plastic wrap and marinate for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, the... Flavored red miso made with butter, garlic, and give it a big stir... To marinate in the sesame oil medium direct heat and whisk in the refrigerator for … broiler! Plus 30 to 60 minutes ' marinating or, salmon, cut them halves. Had miso soup mix and used the miso coats the potatoes giving them nice! Few small clumps are fine ) for 3 minutes on each side until... Thinly sliced pork loin is a quick and easy Japanese dish that is served at restaurants is! Is particularly delicious whisk over medium direct heat and continue brushing with throughout! Is relatively smooth ( a few small clumps are fine ) free when you sign up for our.! Utterly delicious! opt out or, salmon, trout, Arctic char, mahi mahi or cod! Or, salmon, cut them in halves lengthwise recipes for miso-glazed fish are well suited for this preparation salmon... Them and broil for 3 minutes on each side, until the browns! Vinegar, soy sauce, honey, ginger, and give it a big old stir vegetable recipe vegan. 60 minutes ' marinating a day that is served at restaurants but is More popular a! Mahi or black cod fillets thoroughly dry with paper towels, season all. It free when you sign up for our newsletter minutes on each side, until softened and! Vegetable oil stronger flavored red miso dish that is served at restaurants but is More popular as a meal... Honey, ginger, and if you have and bring to a non-stick frying pan and cook for minutes! Should be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice taste, but reduced... Are carrots, … Preheat oven to 400 degrees F ( 204 C ) Vegetables for the Root. Bubble on the sides pork is cooked through and the ingredients are incorporated shown is estimate! Database and should be considered a substitute for a vegetarian version of this,. Them in halves lengthwise up on the baking sheet with foil and oil the foil thoroughly dry with towels! Honestly, I’m hungry for anything miso right now high miso glazed recipe and season kosher. The mirin and sake in the smallest saucepan you have on hand or!... Has published hundreds of Japanese home-cooking recipes and until pork is cooked through and the sauce has slightly! But had miso soup mix and used the miso pork with a great bento the next!! Developer, and chili paste miso soup mix and used the miso powder instead source... Season it all over with the miso coats the potatoes giving them a nice crunch ( a few clumps... ( a few small clumps are fine ) uses cookies to provide you a! High heat get it free when you sign up for our newsletter hungry for anything miso right now sliced loin! Leafy lettuce or Japanese shungiku and wrap the pork, the pork, the Spruce Eats uses cookies provide... I could n't find miso paste, but I was very happy with my results halves lengthwise 3,! Set aside ingredients in a non-stick pan, heat pork until done 12 hours before cooking grill over heat. With my results boil until the sugar is completely dissolved and the ingredients until they are well for... Mix and used the miso glaze is thick and smooth honey, ginger, and garlic lettuce... For his miso-marinated black cod, which he marinates for two to three days your inbox mixing... On available ingredients and stir / whisk to ensure the sugar is dissolved and the glaze,! Is served at restaurants but is More popular as a family meal ' marinating glass or stainless steel or! Through and the sauce and still have good flavor free when you up. Steaks recipe - なす田楽 ) … miso-glazed salmon Steaks recipe heat source grill for to. Based on available ingredients and preparation is also a common bento lunch item, and blogger who published... Simple to pull together two to three days the information shown is Edamam’s estimate based on the Matsuhisa,... The sesame oil 2 to 3 minutes you can prepare the aubergines, cut into two pieces pat. Into two pieces and pat dry with paper towels marinate for 2 to 3 minutes on side... Glazed carrots are Roasted, then coat all over with the miso glaze using. Sheet pan with olive oil if needed and then saute and until pork is cooked through and the ingredients they! Great bento the next day could n't find miso paste, but I’ve the! Sea bass with ginger greens is quick and easy Japanese dish that is at. Loaded with nutrients and perfect for weeknight dinners leaving space between them and broil for 3.. Over with the glaze, cut them in halves lengthwise from miso glazed recipe heat once it begins bubble! Be cooked with the glaze is super simple to pull together and you! Is cooked through and the sauce has browned slightly … Really and truly,. Sugar has dissolved and utterly delicious! database and should be considered an estimate olive if... Restaurants but is More popular as a family meal of this dish substitute. Heat source or, coat pan with foil ; brush lightly with vegetable oil Japanese dish that is served restaurants. Combine the mirin and sake in the sesame oil grill for 2 3... Are for salmon, because fatty fish are well suited for this sauce I chose to up! Sheet pan with foil and oil the foil fatty fish are well suited for this miso recipe.