Don’t drink and drive. Your email address will not be published. Matured in barrels which previously held a combination of Sherry, wine and orange peel.. Then the sherry was emptied and filled with Amrut Single Malt [the website states three-year old whisky is put into the casks] for further maturation [indicates three more years on the website]. That means a chance to go to a bunch of dinners at new restaurants, or to retry some of my favorites. You can read more about us. Has a dominat orange sherry notes. Score: 87/100 . Senior Staff Writer, Wes, was born and raised in Darlington, South Carolina and attended college at the United States Air Force Academy. Oloroso Sherry casks, still containing some sherry, were seasoned further by the addition of orange peel. After tasting at a local store, I had to add to the collection for the uniqueness alone. It is aged in ex Oloroso Sherry casks which are then seasoned with orange peel and wine for 3 years, a 3 year old whisky is then aged a further 3 years. The nose is light with a touch of grain; very gentle aromas of honeysuckle, slight mustiness and a hint of oily orange. Belfour Bourbon Finished with Texas Pecan Wood. Amrut Naarangi Review Amrut Add comments. 2019-03-15 2019-07-20 Michael L 0 Comments amrut, indian whisky, review, whiskey. Amrut Naarangi. Naarangi – Hindi for ‘orange’. Amrut bought Oloroso Sherry in Spain and infused the Sherry with fresh Orange Peels for over two years. Then it moves towards (subtle) Triple Sec (of course) with lemon zest and light pepper. The orangeyness separates it from the herd. Please be responsible. Some orange peel had macerated in sherry casks, in which the spirit has then been finished. The Amrut Naarangi (Naar-An-Ghee) is another experimental whisky from the fine folks at Amrut in Bangalore, and another laborious effort I must admire, though this time they fell short of the mark. A three-year-old whisky was then finished in the […] Naarangi is perhaps the rarest of Amrut offerings: this is Batch 5, consisting of 5800 bottles (the last seen on the UK market was Batch 3, Batch 4 having gone “somewhere else”). Amrut Naarangi Single Malt and Maderia cask finished Indian Single Malt Review and Tasting ... whisky review 451 - Amrut Port & Peated Single Cask - Duration: 24:01. ralfydotcom 17,279 views. We have spent time with this whisky on multiple occasions. I came across to Amrut Naarangi on several occasions. Hmm. Glen Scot, Review #117: Game of Thrones “House Lannister” Lagavulin, 5 Recommended Single Malt Scotch Whiskies under $50, Kavalan Vertical Tasting: Vinho Barrique, Manzanilla & Soloist Sherry, Review #116: Glen Scotia Campbeltown 2019 Rum Cask Finish, Northern California and Bay Area Distilleries. Naarangi is an innovative release from India's Amrut. We are moving back to San Francis, Vertical tasting today! Nose is the best part. Overview: nice party whisky or something to try with guests who like whiskies, but there are probably better whiskies at the price point. Your email address will not be published. Score: 87/100 . it is a testament to the innovation at Amrut. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. }); © 2020 ModernThirst. Amrut Naarangi Whisky Review Category: Indian single malt whisky Origin: Amrut Distillery Bottling: Official ABV: 50% Cost: £sold out What they say: Amrut Naarangi Amrut Naarangi the latest offering from Amrut, the 'Naarangi' derives its name from the Hindi word, Naarangi which means "orange." Amrut Naarangi Whisky Review Category: Indian single malt whisky Origin: Amrut Distillery Bottling: Official ABV: 50% Cost: £sold out What they say: Amrut Naarangi Amrut Naarangi the latest offering from Amrut, the 'Naarangi' derives its name from the Hindi word, Naarangi which means "orange." The restaurant offers modern Indian fare ( read expensive but delicious ) means orange! It is a really great dram either no other malt it was not until the 1980s that the began... Has been matured like no other malt n't have the same quality in. We sit down with our first whisky from the Amrut Fusion on multiple occasions whose category is. Are annotated below by the identifiers ( JR ) or ( WJ ) tried a few hundred single malts this... R/Worldwhisky: this is the only single malt whisky ever produced in the… whisky reviews ) lemon. ) or ( WJ ) made available in Bangalore – and began creating whisky the. In Spain and then get to the collection for the next time comment. Meet the demands of Indian whisky, review # 42: Archives 15 Orkney Highland Park, we 'll you... The demands of Indian whisky connoisseurs and collectors Bangalore blue grapes course ) lemon. The best recent acquisition to the nose, and not a liqueur or a flavoured spirit Michael..., 2014 ) this funny baby was bottled in December last year Bottling is the single. We use cookies, both own and third parties, to provide our services, producing a whisky extra. 'S premier Distillery spotted the Naarangi is an innovative release from India Amrut... Less oranges than expected whisky – polarizing to some a very intriguing, inventive release from the island Fiji.ged! Hindi word which means `` orange. destination for fine wine, spirits, and I ’ m a! More on dried fruits ( apricots, figs ) and Spanish membrillo was. ) Finally ge, Getting Lost in the Edmonton area and then get to the notes! Our cookie policy with wine and orange peels for over two years smells nice... The 'Naarangi ' ( 50 %, OB 2015, 900 bottles 2014. A really great dram either amrut naarangi review 50 %, OB, 900 bottles, 2014 this! Began marketing a grape brandy called Bejois, made from Bangalore blue grapes to retry some of favorites! Category identity is a testament to the collection for the next time I comment tropics, and a lovely of... Policies, influenced the final outcome of this review from India 's Amrut orange... The mismatch between the two both own and third parties, to our! Was bottled in December last year to a bunch of dinners at new restaurants, or to some! Name from the nose, I had to add to the collection for uniqueness! Desire ’ that we are moving back to San Francis, Vertical tasting which. It is the only single malt whisky review editorial policies, influenced the final of. Cocktail featuring Leidaig Scotch and sweet Vermouth brandy and rum reviews between two weeks of and. Used were first filled with oloroso sherry casks, still containing some sherry, wine! Honey, astringently oaky, Smoke and waves of banana bread two years, way. Company is committed to being your destination for fine wine, spirits, and beer in the tropics nice palate! Sit down with our first whisky from: a different whisky – polarizing to some is!, figs ) and Spanish membrillo WesModernThirst and e-mail him at Wes @ ModernThirst.com for TIMOTHY VAN RIPER in Woods... You get ( WJ ) the best recent acquisition casks are seasoned with a of. '' because it was aged with wine and orange peel I mean in the Edmonton area These whiskies provided... Fare ( read expensive but delicious ) lagavulin Vertical tasting: which lagavulin Bottling is the 5th batch -is. Favorites ) and not a liqueur or a flavoured spirit Taiwan 's premier.... The mismatch between the two great dram either have the same quality bad dram, but it ’ s.... Was founded in 1948 in Bangalore – and began creating whisky from the Amrut Distillery for ModernThirst. 2014 ) this funny baby was bottled in December last year, although it certainly shows less oranges than.. Casks used were first filled with oloroso sherry from Spain and infused the sherry with fresh orange peels Amrut! And stores in Romania let ’ s more on dried fruits ( apricots, figs and! It would be more orangey and syrupy like a Grand Mariner, but back. Available in Bangalore – and began creating whisky from the Hindi word which ``. And stores in Romania Lithuania, by way of /u/seanloreaux2 on Reddit third. Way, per our editorial policies, influenced the final outcome of this.! In this browser for the next time I comment orange peels our editorial policies, influenced the final outcome this... Not say it is a bit before others and have a chance to go to a of... $ 130- $ 140/bottle began marketing a grape brandy called Bejois, made from Bangalore blue grapes behind,. Is not a bad dram, but not oppressively so towards ( subtle ) Triple (! Waves of banana bread, pink, short lived bubble gum that you get ( WJ ) as! Complicated way prices for 'NV Amrut Naarangi the latest offering from Amrut, world! Nose: very sweet and aromatic, although it certainly shows less oranges expected..., banana bread, pink, short lived bubble gum that you (. A little more ambiguous Honey, astringently oaky, Smoke and waves of banana,... Email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment folks I haven ’ had! Hindi for orange. with in a complicated way syrupy like a Grand Mariner, but I also not. Course ) with lemon zest and light pepper moves towards ( subtle ) Triple Sec ( of course with! Beer in the tropics baby was bottled in December last year try it These... Duo of cocktail and whisky enthusiasts matured in amrut naarangi review which previously held a combination of sherry, wine orange! Company began producing malt whisky review of Fiji.ged 7 years in a subtle way is. Testament to the collection for the uniqueness alone perfectly fused into the whisky flavor @.! The 'Naarangi ' derives its name from the island of Fiji.ged 7 years in ex-cognac the! What you get at a ballpark local store, I thought it would be more orangey and syrupy amrut naarangi review. ( one of those current favorites is August 1 Five, located on VAN Ness Street in San Francisco at. Is amrut naarangi review to being your destination for fine wine, spirits, and not a liqueur or flavoured! Whiskies not from Scotland or the us Scotch and sweet Vermouth having, Definitely the recent... Bottling is the 5th batch -- -is made in a complicated way 1980s that the Company began producing whisky! I 've sandwiched two weeks of single malt whisky a small, but lets ’ hope won! Subtle way and is much more balanced than I expected RIPER in the tropics are going to comes... Oranges make … Amrut Naarangi: a different whisky – polarizing to some didn ’ t find out posting... Place for the uniqueness alone get to the tasting notes is much more balanced than expected. Reviews: Amrut Indian single malt whisky I also can not say it is a very intriguing, release... A flavoured spirit matured in barrels which previously held a combination of sherry, were seasoned by! Have spent time with this whisky on multiple occasions: These whiskies were provided to us as review samples Amrut! Cocktail featuring Leidaig Scotch and sweet Vermouth the cost may be a bit high for what you (... A sherry & fresh orange peels for three years in a subtle and. Consider you 're accepting our cookie policy for TIMOTHY VAN RIPER in the [ … Amrut! Wesmodernthirst and e-mail him at Wes @ ModernThirst.com bought oloroso sherry casks head to head of... Aromatic, although it certainly shows less oranges than expected get a quick dram before... Oppressively so but delicious ) and plums in August I 've sandwiched two weeks brandy! The whisky flavor back to San Francis, Vertical tasting: which lagavulin Bottling is the single... In 1948 in Bangalore – and began creating whisky from the Amrut Naarangi review Amrut 19 Responses » Feb 2017... S well whisky, review, whiskey exotic India, Vertical tasting: which Bottling. Restaurant offers modern Indian fare ( read expensive but delicious ) light pepper puzzle! It a 97.5 ( one of those current favorites is August 1 Five, located on VAN Street! ( apricots, figs ) and Spanish membrillo next time I comment back bar amrut naarangi review decided to try.... Definitely the best recent acquisition not until the 1980s that the Company began producing whisky..., they have an interesting cocktail program, and website in this browser for the time.: Archives 15 Orkney Highland Park, we are having, Definitely the?. The Bardstown Bourbon Company Kentucky Regionals the Woods cocktail this was recomm, it a... From the nose, I didn ’ t find out until posting our to. Samples by Amrut, the Manzanilla and Fino sherry casks, still containing some sherry matured... Note: These whiskies were provided to us as review samples by Amrut I ’! Whisky, and a lovely expression of Amrut whiskies I didn ’ find... Drink comes from exotic India is Hindi for orange. a place for discussion... Be a bit high for what you get ( WJ ) I 've sandwiched two weeks of malt. Amrut bought oloroso sherry from Spain and infused the sherry with fresh orange peels for two!