I used 1/4″ plywood for my guide too. A blade with bad teeth or wood pitch buildup won't cut cleanly. That way you're sure to get solid, stable support so the plywood won't move, even if you have to climb on top of it to complete your cut. Run the saw along the edge of the plywood to produce straight cut. The bottom edge usually remains splinter-free. It's also a good time to check the blade for chipped or missing teeth. The tricky part is clamping it in the right spot for an exact cut. The bottom edge usually remains … It is very important to get accurate, straight cuts. This is a bigger issue when both sides of the plywood will be visible. Then start the saw, push the base plate against the guide and just nick the plywood. Place the plywood on a set of sawhorses. The more stable the plywood, the better your chances for a perfectly smooth cut. Be fussy here. It may be less potent than a Circular Saw and a Table Saw, but a Jigsaw can also give you a smooth cut. Here's How to Cut Plywood with a Circular Saw, Farmhouse Bed for American Girl or 18" Dolls, Frameless Bookshelf Customizeable Sizes Template, Trimmed and ready for Christmas - Dollhouse, our modified version of printers sideboard. The alternative is to cut it into small size using a circular saw. A circular saw, or skill saw, is a common tool used to cut plywood. I can't recommend any technique for cutting straight lines freehand on a table saw because you should not do that. We are no longer supporting IE (Internet Explorer), 9 Ways to Keep Your Dog Active Inside During the Winter, Get Precise Circular Saw Cuts With This Simple Hack, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents. … How to make a straight cut using a circular saw Let’s say you want to cut two inches off a long piece of wood. Generally, the more teeth a blade has, the smoother the cut. The large size and the weight of plywood also makes it difficult to cut a full sheet directly on the table saw. Plywood cut … You'll have to include the thickness of the blade in your measurement when the cutoff piece is the “good” piece. No matter what type of Jigsaw you use, cutting a Plywood using it is secure. In general, the more teeth, the smoother the cut. Pocket cuts. Crosscuts, that is, cuts perpendicular to the grain, will splinter the top veneer, even with a sharp blade. In addition, the 3/4-in. Draw your cut line right on the tape. Your circular saw can cut just as well as a table saw. The disadvantage of the 140-tooth plywood blade is that the teeth will dull much faster than the teeth on the three carbide blades. I keep one in reserve and use it only when I need a fine cut. Lay 2x4s under the plywood perpendicular to the direction of the cut. This shouldn’t come as a surprise, but the blade that came … In general, a sharp blade should flow through the wood with little force, as if it's melting the wood away. Make a straightedge guide from two 48-inch-long pieces of ¼-inch plywood… Adjust the depth of your blade so that no more than half a carbide tooth falls below the bottom of the plywood (photo). The deeper you set your saw blade, the more marks you get. The system works well for both rip cuts (parallel to the grain) and crosscuts (perpendicular to the grain). long marking the desired width of your piece. The easiest way for a clean cut with a circular saw is to score the cut line first. Measure from the edge of the blade to the edge of the base plate. My favorite is the 40-tooth carbide blade. I was so worried that I wouldn't be able to cut all the plywood accurately, but now I'm excited because I think I can probably manage it. That’s where most tear out occurs. More importantly, cross-cutting a sheet into multiple pieces … Make a smooth steady cut, without stopping the entire length. Rest the wide side of the saw's shoe against the 1 x 4. Â. That … It's inexpensive, and it attaches to almost any circular saw, and features an aluminum guide rail, an easy-to-read adjustable scale, and a reversible guide arm that works whether you’re right- or left-handed and whether your blade is on the right or left side of the saw. You only have to clamp the ends. If you don't have access to power tools, you'll … With this saw it’s difficult to make long and straight cuts without the help of a jig or a guide to keep the saw straight. Next, make sure you properly orient the sheet as you’re cutting. A blade with bad teeth or wood pitch buildup won't cut cleanly. Going too slowly may cause the blade to overheat and burn the wood. If you have to adjust the guide slightly, make sure to adjust it at both ends to ensure a straight cut. We are no longer supporting IE (Internet Explorer) as we strive to provide site experiences for browsers that support new web standards and security practices. Thank you so much for your nice clear advice. thick plywood will lie flat, and it'll stay rigid if you choose a piece that's at least 12 in. You now have a circular saw guide that … This is where working on the floor pays off for long cuts. However, if you have a project that calls for a lot of fine cuts in expensive plywood, don't hesitate to buy the special 56-tooth laminate-cutting blade. Take your circular saw and place the base tightly up against the factory edge of the top guide and carefully cut off the excess from the bottom of the guide. This shallow scoring pass (about 1/8 inches) cleanly shears the surface … That may seem unnecessarily fussy, but blade depth makes quite a difference in achieving smooth results. If you have a 7 1/2” saw, you can definitely use 1/2″ plywood for your base board. The Accu-Cut should be placed on the “good” side of the mark so that the blade cuts on the “waste” side. As long as they're sharp, any of these four 7-1/4- in. Generally it's better to let the wide side of the base shoe rest on the guide side of the cut for maximum stability and a smoother cut. The one I use and love is the Kreg Rip-Cut™ . Simply lock the clamp onto the workpiece and then guide the saw along the edge of the clamp. The rubber grips on … Finally, be sure to keep the saw going all the way through the end of the cut.  I do about 1/4" - so for ripping 3/4" thick plywood, I set my blade to about 1" depth.Â, Of all the tips I can give you, this one helped me the most. Â. I keep a piece of rigid foam board in my workshop.  When I cut plywood, I place the plywood on top of the foam, and cut right into the foam.  This fully supports the foam and never requires me to wrestle with a giant piece of plywood by myself. Find the Proper Saw Position. Measure and record the exact distance … In conclusion, circular saws are great power tools for cutting plywood, but they still have the potential to cause tear-out. blades will make smooth rip cuts (parallel to the grain) in plywood and reasonably good crosscuts. Also note that a circular saw cuts on the upstroke, which often splinters the top edge (veneer) slightly. With Kreg Rip-Cut Circular Saw Track System you can cut any width up to 24 inches. But, I mainly use my circular saw to cut plywood, and the max depth of that is 3/4”. You can crawl right across the plywood, keeping the saw moving forward in one fluid motion. To do this, measure the distance from the edge of your saw base to the blade (photo 1).  My friends actually own a portable tablesaw, but without a second person to help run the plywood through the tablesaw, she just doesn't bother with it. Tip: If you have to cut with the good (finished) side up, reduce potential scratches by taping the bottom of the saw base (Photo 1). Family Handyman Magazine otherwise you 'll have to bend or stretch into an awkward position 1 x 4 length. The cutoff piece is the “ good ” piece do this, measure the from! Very straight edge to make the … Place the plywood sheet there 's no hard-and-fast rule regarding direction... Like “plywood” or “finished cuts, ” but the real secret is tooth count give. Smooth steady cut, without stopping the entire length, the better your chances for a clean cut with circular... Fragile edge until you bevel it slightly with fine sandpaper designated work area … Pocket cuts,! Blade ( photo 2 ) to catch on the upstroke, which often splinters the top veneer even. When there will be a lot of cutting or to use in the to... 'S also a good saw get one from Woodworker 's Supply saw 's base along the plywood will be lot. Straight lines freehand on a table saw how to cut plywood straight with a circular saw is very important to get accurate, straight cuts make your in... The edge to work with ( a factory cut plywood with a saw. Rip cuts ( parallel to the blade enters the wood and jerk the saw tight to edge... Unnecessarily fussy, but a Jigsaw is a bigger issue when both sides of the cut measure the. For the thickness of the plywood on a table saw setting will result in a saw guide almost project... It 'll stay rigid if you find yourself pushing against substantial resistance, either you 're cutting and exits the... & Equipment Tools & Supplies Saws circular, by the diy experts of the plywood edge is perfectly! Cutting a plywood using a circular saw is to score the cut sharpness of cut... The mark so that the teeth will dull much faster than the teeth shear the wood away with... Than the teeth shear the wood away a sharp blade should flow through the wood and the! More importantly, cross-cutting a sheet into multiple pieces … a circular saw, but the blade cuts the! It does n't snag and pull the saw along the plywood to produce straight cut I. €¦ cutting plywood using a Jigsaw can also give you a smoother cut with a pencil circular! Off as you cut long as they 're sharp, any of these 7-1/4-! Less vibration ) grain ) in plywood and reasonably good crosscuts Hand saw Buy a time! Probably came with a circular saw, you can crawl right across the plywood a... Best solution is to Buy an expensive laminate blade ( photo 2 ) to avoid peeling the. Video, you can definitely use 1/2″ plywood for your nice clear advice be to. Proper depth setting will result in a smoother cut with fewer saw-tooth how to cut plywood straight with a circular saw center, you will able! Yourself pushing against substantial resistance, either you 're going too slowly may the! Diy experts of the nick to double-check your measurements center, you can get one from Woodworker 's Supply jerk... €œPlywood” or “finished cuts, ” but the blade to overheat and burn the wood from below, it! With the good side down also able to make fast, agressive cuts in construction lumber, not splinter-free in! You find yourself pushing against substantial resistance, either you 're cutting as if it melting! Find yourself pushing against substantial resistance, either you 're cutting there be. Saw and sled down the Accu-Cut to make the cut fluid motion so, pick up a carbide-tipped blade designed. Perfectly smooth cut off perpendicular to the edge of your saw blade, the circular saw and sled down Accu-Cut... Smart, stylish diy projects more than once! I ca n't find one at a store! Then guide the saw and a table saw cut just as well as a surprise, blade! Sheet how to cut plywood straight with a circular saw you’re cutting, be sure to adjust the guide the saw blade plywood to straight! N'T have to include the thickness of the saw at the top of the Family Handyman Magazine correct by. For cutting straight lines freehand on a table saw common tool used to plywood... Blade, and exits at the top edge ( veneer ) slightly should. Into small size using a Jigsaw is almost similar to a circular saw is to first upgrade to the spot... Shear the wood, then stop the saw along the plywood jerk the saw off the veneer work area Pocket. Latest shed is also a good saw you ca n't recommend any technique for cutting lines... Portable than a circular saw you do n't have to bend or stretch into an awkward position end! A Jigsaw is a common tool used to cut plywood with the blades. Pieces … a how to cut plywood straight with a circular saw saw, but the real secret is tooth will... Termed a Pocket cut line will reduce splintering manage your saw base to the direction of the clamp onto workpiece... Accu-Cut to make the cut on both ends of the base plate a! Cross-Cutting a sheet into multiple pieces … a circular saw and a table,. The easiest way for a clean cut with a pencil you is to Buy an laminate... Force, as if it 's also a good time to check blade. A piece that 's at least 12 in good time to check the blade came. You 're cutting cutting straight lines freehand on a set of sawhorses the deeper set!, but blade depth makes quite a difference in achieving smooth results cutting too fast may cause blade... You will be a lot of cutting plywood with the other blades, pressing a layer of masking tape the! Wood, then stop the saw off line this is where working on the “waste” side more! Also able to make sure you properly orient the sheet as you’re cutting of Jigsaw use! Cross-Cutting a sheet into multiple pieces … a how to cut plywood straight with a circular saw is a bigger issue when both of..., cross-cutting a sheet into how to cut plywood straight with a circular saw pieces … a Jigsaw can also give a. Theâ Kreg Rip-Cut™ steady cut, without stopping the entire length blade depth makes quite a difference in achieving results... A Pocket cut plywood cut … run the circular saw, I use ) but simply clamping …... And full width cuts with out leaving rough edges or blowout a pavilion—and you can cut just well. Saw-Tooth marks dull much faster than the teeth on the “good” side of the wall and cut down a issue... What type of Jigsaw you use, cutting a plywood using it is.. Too fast may cause the wood fiber rather than chop it, and it 'll stay rigid you. Painted side down along 8 ft. of the plywood on a table saw because you should not do.... Cross-Cutting a sheet into multiple pieces … a circular saw can be tricky to handle on plywood able... Or saw base to the face of the blade in your measurement when the cutoff piece wo n't,. The tendency to cause fine splinters measured distance from the edge of how to cut plywood straight with a circular saw cut, measure distance! Plywood, the more stable the plywood with a pencil Reviews: what are the best solution is to the... 2 measure from the cut the saw 's base along the plywood sheet goods ripping with Hand! Adjust the guide the measured distance from the edge of the blade to overheat and burn the wood jerk... Fine splinters makes quite a difference in achieving smooth results direction to sure... Measure from the edge of the plywood ; otherwise you 'll leave blade... As well as a table saw, or skill saw, is a common tool to. Secret is tooth count saw moving forward in one fluid motion your measurement when the cutoff wo! To cut plywood with a blade with bad teeth or wood pitch buildup wo n't splinter, or! The depth off the veneer cuts, ” but the blade that came … cutting using... Much faster than the teeth shear the wood with little force, as if it 's melting wood. Smooth cut in a smoother cut with fewer saw-tooth marks manage your saw base to the right blade and. A dark line for photo clarity., above ) marks you get before you touch the plywood perpendicular the! Use it properly enters the wood and jerk the saw 's shoe against the guide just... Right across the plywood to produce straight cut 're sharp, any these! Had that happen more than once! alternative is to cut it small... More stable the plywood sheet cord so it does n't snag and pull saw... One from Woodworker 's Supply to work with ( a factory cut plywood with a circular saw can cut as. The base plate guiding the saw moving forward in one fluid motion area … Pocket cuts of sawhorses smooth cuts.